Walk-Off Claws, Ortiz Top Birds 8-7
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Jhailyn Ortiz's RBI double in the bottom of the ninth delivered the BlueClaws' 11th walk-off win of the year and an 8-7 win over Delmarva on Saturday night at FirstEnergy Park.
The win for Lakewood (45-22/86-50) was their ninth game since July 23rd that they've won after trailing in the seventh inning or later.
Lakewood tied the game with three runs in the seventh off Diogenes Almengo (1-2), who also gave up the winning run in the ninth. Nick Maton, Josh Stephen, and Jose Antequera had RBI singles to bring the BlueClaws level from 7-4 down.
Luis Cedeno (5-3) gave up one walk over three scoreless innings to earn the win.
Rodolfo Duran had four hits and scored four runs for Lakewood while Ortiz went 2-4 and Maton drove in two.
The Shorebirds got two runs in the first inning on a single by Zach Jarrett to take the lead. Lakewood rallied to a 3-2 advantage with two runs in the fourth, one on a groundout by Nick Maton and another on a Branden Becker throwing error.
Delmarva, however, tied the game in the fifth on a single from Jarrett off Spencer Howard.
Delmarva took the lead with four runs in the sixth inning off Tyler Fallwell. They took the lead on an RBI triple from Ben Breazeale and added an RBI single from Branden Becker and a two-run double from Zach Jarrett.
Howard gave up three runs, two earned over five innings and struck out nine.
The BlueClaws and Shorebirds continue their series on Sunday night at 7:05 pm. LHP Damon Jones (9-8) starts for Lakewood opposite LHP Brandon Bonilla (0-3).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 1, 2018
- Freeman Hits Slam in Suns 11-4 Loss on Saturday - Hagerstown Suns
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short as 'Dads Drop Game 2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Late 'Claws Surge Stuns 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive Take Down Legends on Saturday Night - Greenville Drive
- Legends Drop Game Two to Drive - Lexington Legends
- Walk-Off Claws, Ortiz Top Birds 8-7 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Rout RiverDogs with Seven-Run Inning - Charleston RiverDogs
- Cave and Ramos Lead Augusta to Thrilling Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Todd Czinege's Late Home Run Helps Tourists Beat Braves - Asheville Tourists
- Seven-Run Sixth Inning Pushes Power to 8-0 Drubbing of 'Dogs - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: September 1 at Augusta (Game 132) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (september 1) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.