Wade Martin Joins Vancouver Whitecaps FC as Chief Revenue Officer
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC confirmed on Tuesday the addition of Wade Martin as chief revenue officer and member of the club's senior leadership group. The addition of Martin is the next step in the ongoing organizational realignment as the club prepares for its second decade in Major League Soccer.
"We are very pleased to welcome Wade to the club and city," said Axel Schuster, Whitecaps FC chief executive officer and sporting director. "Wade brings a wealth of experience across North America, and a proven track record of significant revenue growth throughout his career in the sports industry."
Martin arrives in Vancouver after three and a half years on the executive team of the Oakland Athletics. During his tenure in Oakland, he was responsible for strategic leadership and significant growth of all revenue streams including corporate partnerships, hospitality and premium experiences, broadcast and digital media. The A's business saw incredible growth under Martin's leadership, supporting an on-field product that made three consecutive MLB postseason appearances.
In addition to his revenue leadership, Martin also led significant initiatives around the A's new ballpark effort, including naming rights and founding partnership strategy, valuation, and experiential design. He also served on the executive boards of the Oakland Chamber of Commerce and the East Bay Leadership Council.
Prior to joining the A's, Martin worked as vice president of global partnerships and naming rights at Endeavor, where he worked with the Chicago Cubs, Denver Broncos, Boston Celtics and Atlanta Hawks. In that role, he led the naming rights strategy for The Park at Wrigley and programming of events tied to naming rights in and around Wrigley Field.
From 2008 to 2015 Martin spent eight seasons in the NFL leading partnerships, broadcast strategy, and marketing activation for the Detroit Lions and Cincinnati Bengals.
Martin graduated from The College of Wooster in 2005 with a bachelor's degree in communication studies, where he was also a member of the nationally ranked men's basketball team. He also earned his master of business administration and master of sports administration from Ohio University, serving as class president in 2007. A native of Athens, Ohio, Wade and his wife, Heather, are the proud parents of Ford Matthew, born in October 2020.
The club is continuing the process to add a chief marketing officer to the senior leadership team, as well as a director of community, diversity, and inclusion and a director of fans and members to join the management structure of the club.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 16, 2021
- Earthquakes Sign 21-Year-Old Forward Benji Kikanovic - San Jose Earthquakes
- Primary Transfer Window Update - MLS
- Wade Martin Joins Vancouver Whitecaps FC as Chief Revenue Officer - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Longtime Real Salt Lake Midfielder Luke Mulholland Announces Retirement - Real Salt Lake
- CF Montreal Acquires Forward Erik Hurtado - Club de Foot Montreal
- MNUFC Signs Defender DJ Taylor - Minnesota United FC
- CF Montreal Partners with Pour 3 Points - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF to Unveil New Secondary Jersey on February 27 - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- 'Caps suffer first defeat of the season against visiting Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Activate Winger Kamron Habibullah and Loan Midfielder Damiano Pecile
- 'Caps, Toronto FC battle to an entertaining 2-2 draw in Orlando
- Whitecaps FC Sign Kamron Habibullah and Matteo Campagna to MLS Homegrown Contracts
- Cavallini header leads 'Caps over rival Timbers on opening night