Vancouver clings to playoff hopes with 4-3 victory over Tri-City on Wednesday
(Scotiabank Field at Nat Bailey Stadium, Vancouver, BC) - The Vancouver Canadians (35-32) ended a two-game losing streak with a 4-3 victory over the Tri-City Dust Devils (39-28) in the opener of a five-game series at Scotiabank Field on Wednesday night.
The Canadians, who were shut out for nine innings by RHP Christian Bergman on July 28th in Tri-City, broke through against the Dust Devils ace in the bottom of the 2nd inning.
LF Steve McQuail led off that inning with a home run, his 11th of the summer and first of the second half in 2011, to give the C's a 1-0 lead. Vancouver didn't stop there, adding two more runs in the inning on two singles, an error and RBI groundouts by C Pierce Rankin and 2B Jon Berti to build a 3-0 margin over the East Division leaders.
Vancouver added to its lead in the bottom of the 4th inning, when the C's struck for three consecutive singles with one out, capped off by SS Shane Opitz's RBI hit to centerfield for a 4-0 advantage.
The Dust Devils threatened in the top of the 6th inning with three runs, and had runners on second and third base with nobody out, looking to take the lead. C's starter RHP Blake McFarland managed to buckle down by retiring Taylor Featherston on a pop out, Ryan Casteel on a strikeout swinging, and Jayson Langfels on a groundout.
Reliever RHP Drew Permison pitched a scoreless top of the 9th inning to close things out for his 13th save in 14 opportunities.
This five-game series with the Dust Devils resumes on Thursday night, when the C's send RHP Zack Breault to the mound for Team Photo Giveaway Night, where the first 2,500 fans will receive the C's official 2011 Team Photo presented by Van Houtte.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 25, 2011
- Sold Out; Canadians To Play Before Packed House - Vancouver Canadians
- September 1 Bears Game Now Military Appreciation Night - Yakima Bears
- Sox Stall After Early Scores for 2nd Straight Game - Everett AquaSox
- Offense Explodes in Everett as Bears Win 10-6 - Yakima Bears
- Vancouver clings to playoff hopes with 4-3 victory over Tri-City on Wednesday - Vancouver Canadians
- Boise knocks off Volcanoes - Boise Hawks