Boise knocks off Volcanoes
KEIZER, Ore. - Yao-Lin Wang fanned eight men in six strong innings, as the Boise Hawks did not allow travel issues affect them tonight, knocking off the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes, 7-4, before 2,712 fans at Volcanoes Stadium.
Wang limited the hosts to just five singles in his longest outing of the season, as the Hawks ended a three-game losing streak and improved to 5-1 this season against the Volcanoes.
Despite sitting three hours atop Satus Pass in Washington state today due to mechanical issues with their team bus and missing batting practice, Boise bats erupted early.as Ryan Cuneo lined a two-run first inning double and Zeke DeVoss added a two-run single in the second to grab a 4-0 lead. The Hawks would add a pair of homers on the night, as Rafael Lopez led off the third with a long ball, with Cuneo adding a two-run shot in the fifth.
Salem-Keizer had chances, cutting the margin to 7-3 in the seventh - but stranded five men in the final three innings and lost, despite 13 hits.
Cuneo went 2-for-4 with four RBI - extending his hit streak to eight games, with Willson Contreras adding a two hit night for the Hawks. Ben Thomas went 3-for-4 in the loss for S-K, with four others recording multi-hit games.
Game 2 of the series is tomorrow night at 7:35 p.m. (PT), as Jose Rosario meets Cameron Lamb.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 25, 2011
- Sold Out; Canadians To Play Before Packed House - Vancouver Canadians
- September 1 Bears Game Now Military Appreciation Night - Yakima Bears
- Sox Stall After Early Scores for 2nd Straight Game - Everett AquaSox
- Offense Explodes in Everett as Bears Win 10-6 - Yakima Bears
- Vancouver clings to playoff hopes with 4-3 victory over Tri-City on Wednesday - Vancouver Canadians
- Boise knocks off Volcanoes - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boise Hawks Stories
- Boise Hawks Release 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Three Former Boise Hawks Invited to Rockies' Spring Training
- Boise Hawks, Colorado Rockies Announce 2020 Field Staff
- Hawks Announce Sixth Annual Winter Glove Drive
- Boise Hawks Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball