Valera Keys Another Captains Comeback
(Eastlake, OH) - The Lake County Captains (22-18) scored nine unanswered runs to beat the West Michigan Whitecaps (19-20) on Friday night at Classic Park. The 9-4 victory extended the Captains' winning streak to a season-high-tying four games.
Two home runs powered the Whitecaps into the lead early. After Captains starter Tanner Burns walked Wenceel Perez with one out in the second inning, Rey Rivera connected with a two-run shot off the right field batting cage building. Daniel Cabrera hit a solo homer off the center field batter's eye the following inning against reliever Kevin Coulter to push the Whitecaps' lead to 3-0.
George Valera began a three-hit night with a homer in the fourth inning to put the Captains on the board. Whitecaps starter Sandel De La Cruz walked Bryan Lavastida with one out and West Michigan called on Zac Shepherd to come in from the bullpen. Valera was the first to face Shepherd and blasted a two-run home run off the roof of the right field batting cage building to cut West Michigan's lead to 3-2.
The Captains came back to take the lead in the fifth. Lake County put men on second and third with one out, thanks to a Quentin Holmes bunt single and Will Brennan's league-leading 16th double of the season. Brayan Rocchio then slammed a two-run single to right to put the Captains ahead, 4-3.
Lake County tacked on two more runs in the sixth. José Tena led off with a single and Raynel Delgado walked to put men on first and second with nobody out. Joe Naranjo then scorched a two-run double to the right-centerfield wall to give the Captains a 6-3 lead.
A leadoff single by Valera started another rally for the Captains in the seventh. With one out, Delgado singled to put runners on the corners. That brought Naranjo to the plate. Delgado took off on the pitch and Naranjo hit a bouncing ball that deflected off of Delgado racing toward second. Naranjo was safe at first, but Delgado was called out on runner's interference. With two outs, a wild pitch allowed Valera to score and moved Naranjo to second base. Victor Nova followed with a line drive to center field that bounced off of Eric De La Rose and ricocheted into right field. Nova reached second for a double and Naranjo scored to make the score 8-3, Captains.
Lavastida keyed a two-out rally in the eighth when he pulled a double that snuck down the left field line. That brought Valera to the dish and he smoked a ground ball past Rivera at first. The back-to-back doubles scored Lavastida and stretched the Captains' lead to 9-3.
West Michigan did not go quietly in the ninth. With two outs, Corey Joyce hit a pop up to left field that Nova dropped, as he charged toward the infield. Joyce came around to score on a double by Cole McLaren to make the score 9-4, Captains.
Kevin Coulter (3-3) tossed four innings in relief for the Captains to earn the win. He struck out seven and surrendered one run on two hits and one walk.
Zac Shepherd (4-1) took the loss for the Whitecaps. He allowed five runs in 1.2 innings on seven hits.
Alec Wisely (1) earned the save for the Captains with three innings to finish the game. He gave up just one unearned run, thanks to the dropped fly ball in left field with two outs in the ninth.
Eric Mock gets the start for the Captains in game five against the West Michigan Whitecaps. First pitch is set for 7:00 p.m. at Classic Park.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from June 18, 2021
- Ward Homers Twice in 9-3 Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Valera Keys Another Captains Comeback - Lake County Captains
- 'Caps Give up Nine Straight in 9-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- South Bend Drops Third Straight - South Bend Cubs
- Aracena Triples Twice In 5-0 Win Over Chiefs - Beloit Sky Carp
- Gross, Gray Highlight 6-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Ride Early Ward Homers to 9-3 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- River Bandits Duo No-Hits Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Postponed by Rain in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Postponed by Rain on Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Classic Park Vaccination Clinic Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Information: June 18 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Are Back Home on Tuesday to Start Six-Game Series against Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Cruise Past Cubs Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 12-Run First Inning Sails River Bandits Past Timber Rattlers - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Start Not Enough as Cubs Drop Second Straight - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Lose Fourth Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Fumble Four Errors in 4-3 Loss - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.