'Caps Give up Nine Straight in 9-4 Loss
EASTLAKE, OH - The West Michigan Whitecaps took a three-run lead into the fourth inning, but a depleted bullpen gave up nine unanswered runs as part of a 9-4 defeat to the Lake County Captains on Friday night at Classic Park.
The loss becomes the fifth straight for West Michigan, tying their longest skid of the season.
The Whitecaps opened the scoring for the third time in the first four games of this series when Rey Rivera launched a two-run homer - his fifth of the season - to take a 2-0 lead. In the next frame, Daniel Cabrera blasted a 414-foot homer off the batter's eye in centerfield to extend the 'Caps edge to 3-0. Throughout the next five innings, the Captains reeled off, plating nine straight runs to pull off their biggest win of the series. A two-run homer from George Valera and a two-run single by Brayan Rocchio helped give Lake County the 4-3 lead. Trailing 9-3 in the ninth, the Whitecaps got an RBI-double from Cole McLaren before falling for the fifth straight contest. With the loss, West Michigan's record in June fell to 5-10.
Captains reliever Kevin Coulter (3-3) allowed just one run in four innings while striking out seven to earn his third win of the season, while Zac Shepherd (4-1) suffered his first loss of the year by giving up a career-high five runs on seven hits in just 1.2 innings. Captain reliever Alec Wisely tossed the final three innings to collect his third save of the 2021 campaign. The Captains improve to 22-18 as the Whitecaps fall for the fifth straight game, and to 19-20. West Michigan is now under the .500 mark for the first time since the Whitecaps were 8-9 on May 23. Cabrera led the Whitecaps by going 2-for-4 with his solo shot in a losing cause.
The Whitecaps and Lake County Captains play the fifth game of this series Saturday at 7:00 pm. West Michigan's starting pitcher is right-hander Beau Brieske against Captains pitcher Eric Mock. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty begins on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 6:45 pm. Get your tickets for all 2021 home games now at www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from June 18, 2021
- Ward Homers Twice in 9-3 Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Valera Keys Another Captains Comeback - Lake County Captains
- 'Caps Give up Nine Straight in 9-4 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- South Bend Drops Third Straight - South Bend Cubs
- Aracena Triples Twice In 5-0 Win Over Chiefs - Beloit Snappers
- Gross, Gray Highlight 6-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Ride Early Ward Homers to 9-3 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- River Bandits Duo No-Hits Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Postponed by Rain in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Postponed by Rain on Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Classic Park Vaccination Clinic Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Information: June 18 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Are Back Home on Tuesday to Start Six-Game Series against Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Cruise Past Cubs Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 12-Run First Inning Sails River Bandits Past Timber Rattlers - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Start Not Enough as Cubs Drop Second Straight - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Lose Fourth Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Fumble Four Errors in 4-3 Loss - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.