Utica City FC Signs Ubiparipovic to a Two-Year Extension
UTICA, N.Y. - Utica City FC General Manager Tommy Tanner joined Slavisa Ubiparipovic on-field prior to Sunday's match to sign the forward to a two-year contract extension. Per league and team policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.
Ubiparipovic, 31, is Utica's leading goal-scorer with 16 goals on the season and 31 points. The Bosnian native has registered 54 shots on goal. He is third in the league for points and tied for third in assists with 15.
The forward has scored in every home game this season, and acknowledged the fans played a role in his decision to commit his future to Utica City.
"I'd never thought I'd get butterflies again, playing in the league for a few years, but it's one of the best arenas to play in, and it's our home. I am excited to continue my career in Utica."
Prior to joining Utica City, the veteran forward spent his entire MASL career with the Syracuse Silver Knights. Through 136 games with them, he tallied 119 goals and 101 assists and was named Rookie of the Year for the 2011-12 season.
"I consider Slav to be one of the best players in the league and to be able to have him continue his career with us means a great deal to me," said Tanner. "I signed him to his first contract eight years ago and he has been an incredible addition to every team he has played on."
The 5'11" midfielder/forward began his soccer career in his native Bosnia before coming to the U.S. in 1999. Ubiparipovic played for Cleveland State University, where he was named first-team All-Horizon League and NCAA Division I All-Ohio first team. Slavisa was also named to the MASL Team of the Week for the first week of the 2018-19 season.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from February 10, 2019
- Sidekicks Fall to Number One Team in Division - Dallas Sidekicks
- Heat Lose Road Match to Blast, 9-3 - Harrisburg Heat
- Blast Bounce Back with Win vs Harrisburg 9-3 - Baltimore Blast
- MetroStars Lose to Utica City FC - Mississauga MetroStars
- Utica City Cruises Past Mississauga - Utica City FC
- Utica City FC Signs Ubiparipovic to a Two-Year Extension - Utica City FC
- Game Preview - Harrisburg Heat vs. Baltimore Blast - Harrisburg Heat
- Wave Handles Tropics, 8-4; Road Losing Streak Stretches to 10 - Florida Tropics SC
- Wave Wins at Home Leading into Month Long Road Trip - Milwaukee Wave
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.