Union clinch home field advantage in first round playoffs despite loss
Harrison, NJ. - The Philadelphia Union fell 2-0 on the road against NYRB on Sunday evening. The Union dominated possession at 59.9%, but couldn't find the back of the net. Despite the loss, the club clinched home field advantage for the 2019 playoffs after Toronto FC tied LAFC last night. The Union return to action on Wednesday, September 25 at San Jose Earthquakes (11:00 p.m. ET / PHL17).
Philadelphia Union 0 - New York Red Bulls 2
Red Bull Arena (Harrison, NJ)
Sunday, September 22, 2019
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Jair Marrufo
Assistant Referees: Corey Parker, Jose Da Silva
Fourth Official: Lorant Varga
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
Weather: 85 degrees and clear
NYRB - Tom Barlow, 32'
NYRB - Daniel Royer (Bradley Wright-Phillips, Kaku) 90'+6
NYRB - Mark Rzatkowski (caution) 60'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Raymon Gaddis, Jack Elliott, Mark McKenzie (Marco Fabian, 75'), Kai Wagner; Haris Medunjanin; Haris Medunjanin, Alejandro Bedoya; Fafa Picault (Ilsinho, 59'), Jamiro Monteiro, Brenden Aaronson (Sergio Santos, 54'); Kacper Przybylko
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; Aurelien Collin, Anthony Fontana, Ilsinho, RJ Allen
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles; Kyle Duncan, Tim Parker, Aaron Long, Kemar Lawrence; Sean Davis (Kaku, 59'), Cristian Casseres Jr; Daniel Royer, Marc Rzatkowski, Josh Sims (Alex Muyl, 81') Tom Barlow (Bradley Wright-Phillips, 61')
Substitutes not used: Ryan Meara; Sean Nealis, Omir Fernandez, Michael Murillo
The Union have secured a home field playoff game in the first round of the Audi MLS Cup after Toronto FC tied LAFC last night.
Haris Medujanin made his 95th career appearance for the Union.
Alejandro Bedoya made 99th start for the club.
The Union return to action for a regular-season matchup on Wednesday at San Jose Earthquakes (11:00 p.m. ET / Live Well Network).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 23, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 23, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting and Yohan Croizet Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Sporting Kansas City
- Philadelphia Union and Apple Leisure Group Launch Ultimate Union Fan Vacation Package - Philadelphia Union
- Christian Ramirez, Boniek GarcÃa Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Forward Josef Mart=C3=ADnez Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Red Bulls - D.C. United Match Picked up by FS1 and FOX Deportes - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Match against the New York Red Bulls Switched to FS1 - D.C. United
- MLS Matchups Announced for FS1 Doubleheader on September 29 - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 23, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati to Celebrate Fans with Fan Appreciation Activities this Week - FC Cincinnati
- Michael Parkhurst Announces Retirement - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC Suffers 2-0 Road Defeat to Eastern Conference Side D.C. United - Seattle Sounders FC
- Union clinch home field advantage in first round playoffs despite loss - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Beat the Seattle Sounders 2-0 at Audi Field - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union and Southern New Hampshire University Host Third Annual Rompe Las Barreras Job Shadow Program
- Anthony Fontana scores third game winning goal this season for Union
- Philadelphia Union Acquire International Roster Spot from Montreal Impact
- Philadelphia Union Agree to Record-Breaking Transfer of Homegrown Midfielder Brenden Aaronson to UEFA Champions League Club FC Red Bull Salzburg
- Philadelphia Union Draw D.C. United