Two Sounders FC Players Named to USL's 20 Under 20 List
SEATTLE, WASH. - Tacoma Defiance has landed two players on the USL's annual 20 Under 20 list, which ranks the best players in the league at or under 20 years of age. Through their contributions in USL play, Sounders FC First Team players Danny Leyva and Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez have been recognized as two of the league's most talented young players. Leyva came in eighth place in the voting, while Ocampo-Chavez landed at No. 17. Votes were cast by the league's coaches and technical staff members.
Leyva, 16, has made 12 appearances and 10 starts for Tacoma this season, recording six shots in 889 minutes. Last season, he became the second-youngest player in USL Championship history to start a game at 15 years old. Leyva was named to the 2019 CONCACAF U-17 Championship's Best XI after leading his side to the final and a place in the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup this month in Brazil. The central midfielder also became the youngest signing in Sounders FC history when he was signed as a Homegrown Player at 15 years and 339 days old.
Ocampo-Chavez, 17, ranks tied for second on Tacoma's roster with five goals in 15 games played this season. The striker won the Golden Boot at the 2018-19 Generation adidas Cup Champions Division and has been one of the leading scorers for the United States U-17 National Team. Ocampo-Chavez became the 13th Homegrown Player signing for Sounders FC when he was signed to a First Team contract on May 1, 2019.
Tacoma Defiance returns to action this Saturday, October 5 at Fresno FC. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. PT and the match will be live-streamed on ESPN+.
Images from this story
Danny Leyva and Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez of Tacoma Defiance
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 4, 2019
- Four LA Galaxy Players Called up for International Duty - LA Galaxy
- Impact Hosts New York Red Bulls on Fan Appreciation Day - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Celebrates 2019 Fan Appreciation Day on Sunday, October 6 against Minnesota - Seattle Sounders FC
- Four Atlanta United Players Receive International Call-Ups - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City to Close out 2019 MLS Season against Chicago Fire - Orlando City SC
- Six New York Red Bulls in Action for October International Window - New York Red Bulls
- Five Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Roster - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Quintet Invited to U.S. U-23 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Two Sounders FC Players Named to USL's 20 Under 20 List - Seattle Sounders FC
- #FCDvSKC: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Preview: Sporting to Visit FC Dallas in Sunday's Season Finale - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: New York Travels to Montreal for Decision Day, Presented by AT&T - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Seattle Supports Sounders FC Ahead of Opening Round Playoff Battle against LAFC
- Three Sounders FC Players Named to 2020 MLS Best XI
- Baseball Hall of Famer and Seattle Icon Ken Griffey Jr. and Family Join Sounders FC Ownership Group
- Seattle Sounders FC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case
- Sounders FC Leads League with Four Players in Top 25 Best-Selling 2020 Adidas MLS Jerseys