Two-Out Thunder Leads Long Island Past Lancaster
(Central Islip, N.Y.) - The Long Island Ducks defeated the Lancaster Barnstormers 5-4 on Saturday night in the third game of a four-game series at Bethpage Ballpark.
The Ducks struck first on a two-out RBI single by David Washington in the second inning off Barnstormers starter Kyle Davies. A two-out, three-run home run to right-center by Hector Sanchez in the third increased the advantage to 4-0. Vladimir Frias brought home another two-out run in the fourth with an RBI double to right-center.
Lancaster closed to within 5-4 in the eighth on RBI singles by Michael Martinez and Andrew Aplin, along with a two-run single by K.C. Hobson. However, Rob Rogers and Michael Tonkin retired the final five Barnstormers batters to secure the win.
Ducks starter Joe Iorio (5-1) earned the win, tossing six scoreless innings, allowing three hits and three walks while striking out two. Davies (4-8) took the loss, surrendering five runs on seven hits and three walks over seven innings with seven strikeouts. Michael Tonkin earned his second save in as many days with a scoreless ninth inning, striking out one.
Ezequiel Carrera had two hits to lead the Flock offensively. Washington added a hit, two walks, an RBI and a run.
The Ducks and Barnstormers wrap up their four-game set on Sunday evening. Game time is slated for 5:05 p.m., with the Bethpage Ballpark gates opening at 4:05 (3:50 for full season ticket holders). The first 1,500 fans in attendance will receive Quackers, courtesy of Renewal by Andersen of Long Island. It's also a Sunday Family Funday, presented by Bethpage Federal Credit Union! Prior to the game, fans will be invited onto the field for an autograph session with the Ducks from 4:20 to 4:35. After the game, kids and kids at heart can take part in Kids Run the Bases.
Tickets to the game, and all Ducks home games, can be purchased by visiting the box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX or CLICKING HERE . Those unable to make the game can follow all the action on the Long Island Ducks Broadcast Network. Live streaming video and audio will be available via BoxCast on LIDucks.com, Facebook Live and the Ducks official YouTube channel.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball and play their home games at Bethpage Ballpark. For further information, call (631) 940-DUCK or visit www.liducks.com .
Images from this story
Long Island Ducks celebrate a Hector Sanchez home run
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Late Rally Propels Revolution To Come From Behind Victory Over Bees - New Britain Bees
- Revs Come Back for 11th Straight Series Win, Best Start to a Second Half - York Revolution
- Two-Out Thunder Leads Long Island Past Lancaster - Long Island Ducks
- Barnstormers Rally Falls Short - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Somerset Ends Skid with 4-2 Win - Somerset Patriots
- Blue Crabs Even Series, Shutout Skeeters - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- High Point Rockers Rockers Enter Broadcast Deal with Sinclair Communications - High Point Rockers
- Revs Use Five Homers to Bash Bees, Move into First Place - York Revolution
- Walk-Off Homer, Pitching Gem Lead Ducks to Doubleheader Sweep - Long Island Ducks
- Revolution Put On Home Run Clinic In Victory Over Bees - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.