Two-Hit Shutout Gem for Cutters Pitching Trio
Auburn, N.Y. - The Crosscutters fired their third nine-inning shutout of the season with a two-hitter on Wednesday in a 4-0 victory at the Auburn Doubledays. Erik Miller, Junior Tejada (W, 2-0) and Jose Conopoima combined on the sparking performance.
The left-hander Miller started and racked up seven strikeouts for his second game in a row. The fourth-round selection out of Stanford snagged four strikeouts in the fourth inning when a dropped third strike for a wild pitch allowed a batter to reach base.
Lefty Junior Tejada spun no-hit ball from the fifth through the seventh with two walks and righty Jose Conopoima wrapped it up with two innings of one-hit pitching in the eighth and ninth. Tejada has been part of all three of the team's nine-inning shutouts this season.
Auburn's Caldioli Sanfler singled to lead-off the first and then the Doubledays did not acquire another hit until there were two outs in the bottom of the ninth on a single by Jeremy Ydens. In between it was flat-out shut-down mode for Williamsport pitching.
Hunter Hearn banged a two-run double to the gap in the fifth and D.J. Stewart drove a two-run single to left in the sixth for the Cutters' offense.
Williamsport (23-36) had a one-hitter on June 17 in a seven-inning doubleheader game. The team's previous low in a nine-inning game was a three-hitter on August 2 against Brooklyn.
WIL 4 8 0 (7)
AUB 0 2 0 (8)
W - Junior Tejada (2-0)
L - Carlos Romero (0-4)
Crosscutters Record: 23-36
Next Game: Thursday, August 13, 7:05 p.m. at Auburn
Next Home Game/Promotion: Thursday, August 22, 7:05 p.m. vs. Mahoning Valley / Pin Giveaway
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Monsters Mash Cyclones 10-2 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Monsters Open Series With 10-2 Win Over Brooklyn - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Two-Hit Shutout Gem for Cutters Pitching Trio - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Gades-Tigers Postponed - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Tonight's Game against Hudson Valley Postponed - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Spinners Rained out Wednesday Night in Staten Island - Lowell Spinners
- State College Spikes to Offer Half-Price White Claw Hard Seltzer to Close out Summer 2019, Baby - State College Spikes
- Scrappers Game on Sunday, August 18th Now Scheduled as Doubleheader at 2:05pm - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Doubledays Drop Rubber Game against Black Bears - Auburn Doubledays
- Sanford's Extra Inning Walk-Off Home Run Lifts Yankees over Cyclones in Epic Game - Staten Island Yankees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.