Triple-A Team Snaps Skid with 3-1 Win
(Clearwater, Fla.) - RHP Jean Lopez turned 21-years-old yesterday; yet it was he -- one of the youngest players in Phillies' Triple-A Spring Training this exhibition season - who halted the team's six-game losing streak with a 3-1 victory over the Blue Jays' squad Wednesday. The win improved the club's record to 5-8.
Lopez (1-1) went four strong innings and was awarded the win (Spring Training rules), allowing four hits and one run while walking two and fanning five.
With the score tied, 1-1, into the bottom of the fourth inning, the Phils' scored a pair of runs - which held up thanks to scoreless relief from LHP Jake Woods (2.0 ip, 1 k), RHP Scott Nestor (2.0 ip, 3 bb, 1 k) and LHP Antonio Bastardo (1.0 ip, 1 h, 1 bb, 1 k), who notched his second save of the spring. Woods has now turned in three scoreless relief appearances (5.0 ip, 2 h, 0 bb, 2 k) since coming down from Major League camp.
The top eight batters in the starting lineup recorded a hit, with INF J.J. Furmaniak (2-3, 2B, BB) posting the only multi-hit game along with the only extra basehit. OF Leandro Castro (1-3, R), 1B Andy Tracy (1-4) and SS Jorge Velandia (1-4) recorded the lone RBIs. Furmaniak, battling for a roster spot in Lehigh Valley, is now hitting .419-0-4 in Triple-A Spring Training (13-31, 4 R, 3 2B, 3B, 3 BB, 5 K).
With three more games to go in the exhibition season, the Phillies' Triple-A Spring Training team (5-8) will next travel to take on the Blue Jays' club in Dunedin on Thursday.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 1, 2009
- SWB Yankees Spring Fest - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Triple-A Team Snaps Skid with 3-1 Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indianapolis Takes Down Yanks 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Fall to Tides - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians Go to Bat for Community - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons, Niese Shutout Redbirds, 6-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Announce Economic Stimulus Promotions For 2009 - Rochester Red Wings
- Orioles Trade Hayden Penn To Marlins - Norfolk Tides
- Bulls Reach New Partnership with 99.9 FM The Fan - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.