Triple-A Team Snaps Skid with 3-1 Win
(Clearwater, Fla.) - RHP Jean Lopez turned 21-years-old yesterday; yet it was he -- one of the youngest players in Phillies' Triple-A Spring Training this exhibition season - who halted the team's six-game losing streak with a 3-1 victory over the Blue Jays' squad Wednesday. The win improved the club's record to 5-8.
Lopez (1-1) went four strong innings and was awarded the win (Spring Training rules), allowing four hits and one run while walking two and fanning five.
With the score tied, 1-1, into the bottom of the fourth inning, the Phils' scored a pair of runs - which held up thanks to scoreless relief from LHP Jake Woods (2.0 ip, 1 k), RHP Scott Nestor (2.0 ip, 3 bb, 1 k) and LHP Antonio Bastardo (1.0 ip, 1 h, 1 bb, 1 k), who notched his second save of the spring. Woods has now turned in three scoreless relief appearances (5.0 ip, 2 h, 0 bb, 2 k) since coming down from Major League camp.
The top eight batters in the starting lineup recorded a hit, with INF J.J. Furmaniak (2-3, 2B, BB) posting the only multi-hit game along with the only extra basehit. OF Leandro Castro (1-3, R), 1B Andy Tracy (1-4) and SS Jorge Velandia (1-4) recorded the lone RBIs. Furmaniak, battling for a roster spot in Lehigh Valley, is now hitting .419-0-4 in Triple-A Spring Training (13-31, 4 R, 3 2B, 3B, 3 BB, 5 K).
With three more games to go in the exhibition season, the Phillies' Triple-A Spring Training team (5-8) will next travel to take on the Blue Jays' club in Dunedin on Thursday.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 1, 2009
- SWB Yankees Spring Fest - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Triple-A Team Snaps Skid with 3-1 Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indianapolis Takes Down Yanks 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Fall to Tides - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians Go to Bat for Community - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons, Niese Shutout Redbirds, 6-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Announce Economic Stimulus Promotions For 2009 - Rochester Red Wings
- Orioles Trade Hayden Penn To Marlins - Norfolk Tides
- Bulls Reach New Partnership with 99.9 FM The Fan - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- Pigs Take Another Series against Rochester
- Bats tell the story in IronPigs win over Rochester
- Red Wings Hang on for 4-1 Victory
- Littell, Red Wings beat IronPigs
- Pigs Rally to Top Red Wings