Toronto Marlies Weekly
The Marlies embarked on their final road trip of the season, vying for playoff spot in the tightly contested Western Conference. Their Midwest swing first brought the team to Iowa to meet with the Wild. The Marlies would benefit from two point nights courtesy Greg McKegg, Matt Frattin and Josh Leivo, propelling the Marlies to a 5-2 victory and eliminating Milwaukee and Adirondack from playoff contention.
Toronto then headed to Milwaukee for a meeting with the Admirals, former team of current Marlie Brendan Leipsic, who was acquired in a midseason trade. While he would be held pointless in his return, another Marlie rookie would not. William Nylander opened the scoring and added an assist on Brendan Mikkelson's overtime winner as the Marlies skated away with a 3- 2 win, clinching a playoff spot in the process. The Marlies would take their winning ways to Rockford in a match with the IceHogs. William Nylander would again open the scoring while Connor Brown collected the game winning goal for a 3-1 victory. The last game of the road trip and season saw the Marlies in Chicago to take on the Wolves, with the winner laying claim to the seventh spot in the West. The Marlies would jump out to a 4-0 lead including Erik Bradford scoring his first professional goal.
The Wolves would chip away at the lead but the Marlies held on for the 5-2 victory. The Marlies not only swept the Midwest swing but finished the season winning their last seven games, securing the seventh seed in the Western Conference which brings a meeting with Grand Rapids in the first round of the playoffs.
The Marlies will embark on their quest for the Calder Cup beginning this Saturday at Ricoh Coliseum. The first round is a best of five played in a 2-3 format (first two games in Toronto, following three in Grand Rapids)
Marlies Weekly Schedule
Wednesday - 10:15 am (Practice at Ricoh Coliseum)
Thursday - 10:15 am (Practice at Ricoh Coliseum)
Friday - 10:15 am (Practice at Ricoh Coliseum)
Saturday - 3:00 pm vs. Grand Rapids Griffins (Ricoh)
Sunday - 3:00 pm vs. Grand Rapids Griffins (Ricoh)
Playoff tickets can be purchased at marlies.ca or by calling 416-597- PUCK (7825).
CONNOR BROWN WINS ROOKIE SCORING TITLE
The Toronto Marlies have received contributions all season from an impressive group of rookie talent. None more so then Connor Brown who has claimed the rookie scoring title, scoring 61 points in his rookie season; collecting 21 goals and 40 assists. Furthermore, Brown recorded just 10 minutes in penalties while earning a plus/minus rating of +24.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 21, 2015
- Admirals and Skalde Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Norfolk Admirals
- Wolves Add Seven Ahead of Game 1 - Chicago Wolves
- ESPN Radio Block Party on the Plaza Before Game 3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Injury Update on Andrighetto, Dumont, Tinordi - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Minnesota Recalls 11 Players from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Monarchs Sign Mastalerz to ATO - Manchester Monarchs
- Canucks Recall Sven Baertschi from Comets - Utica Comets
- Six Things You Need to Know - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Marlies Stories
- Toronto Marlies Announce Coaching Staff Additions
- MLSE Issues Statement in Support of Province of Ontario's Mandatory Vaccination Policy
- Toronto Marlies Sign Forwards Zach O'Brien and Marcus Power
- Toronto Marlies Sign Goaltender Keith Petruzzelli
- Toronto Marlies Sign Defenceman Matteo Pietroniro