Timbers Sign Midfielder Blake Bodily as Homegrown Player for 2020 Season
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced the signing of academy midfielder Blake Bodily as a MLS Homegrown Player for the 2020 season. Bodily becomes the third prospect of the Timbers Academy program to sign a Homegrown Player contract since the club's inaugural season in 2011.
"We are excited to add a talented Homegrown player to the club in Blake," said Gavin Wilkinson, general manager and president of soccer for the Timbers. "He already has experience playing with T2 during his time with the academy, and has excelled in his development at the collegiate level. Blake will start with T2 with an opportunity to earn first-team minutes. We're happy for Blake and his family and look forward to his continued growth as he begins his professional career."
Bodily, 22, played three collegiate seasons at the University of Washington (2017-19), where he tallied 17 goals and 18 assists in 56 games played (39 starts). In his junior campaign in 2019, Bodily tallied 12 goals and six assists in 19 appearances (16 starts) en route to being named the Pac-12 Player of the Year and earning United Soccer Coaches First-Team All-American honors.
The Eagle, Idaho, native was a three-time First Team All-Pac-12 selection (2017, 2018, 2019) and helped the Huskies clinch the 2019 Pac-12 Championship. As a sophomore in 2018, Bodily recorded three assists in 21 games played. In his freshman campaign, Bodily logged two goals and five assists in 20 appearances (20 starts). The Tigard High School graduate played three years for T2 (2015-17) while with the Timbers Academy, tallying four goals and two assists in 35 matches played (21 starts).
Transaction: Portland Timbers sign midfielder Blake Bodily as a Homegrown Player on Jan. 24, 2020
Born: Jan. 13, 1998, in Eagle, Idaho
College: University of Washington
Citizenship: United States
Acquired: Signed as a Homegrown Player for the 2020 season on Jan. 24, 2020
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 24, 2020
- LAFC Announces Date Change for Home Match against FC Dallas - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs Corey Baird to Long-Term Contract Extension - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas' Road Match against LAFC Moved to September 13 - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF Officially Introduces Head Coach Diego Alonso - Inter Miami CF
- Orlando City Development Academy Adds Former Lion Antonio Nocerino to Coaching Staff - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC's Luis Diaz Receives International Call-Up - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Blake Bodily as Homegrown Player for 2020 Season - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Sign GK Cody Cropper - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Re-Acquires Nigerian Midfielder Orji Okwonkwo on Loan - Montreal Impact
- Atlanta United Loans Andrew Carleton to Indy Eleven - Atlanta United FC
- BBVA Stadium Hosts Dynamo Fan Fest on Saturday, January 25 - Houston Dynamo
- Minnesota United and Rodriguez Agree to Part Ways - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Midfielder Ilsinho - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Providence Park Expansion Project Recognized by AIA Oregon Architecture Awards
- Timbers Clinch Berth in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 5-2 Win against La Galaxy
- Timbers Play Host to LA Galaxy Tonight at Providence Park
- Timbers, Seattle Battle to 1-1 Draw at Centurylink Field Thursday Night
- Timbers Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight at CenturyLink Field