Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Midfielder Ilsinho
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has reached an agreement on a new contract with MLS veteran midfielder Ilsinho (pronounced: Ill-SEEN-yo). The former Brazilian National Team starter and Olympic medalist first joined the Union as a Discovery Signing on February 24, 2016 and will return on a one-year contract for the 2020 campaign. Much of Ilsinho's success came as a game-changer in the second half of matches which made him instrumental to the team's best season in club history, including a standout performance against league rival New York Red Bulls.
"We are pleased to have come to an agreement with Ilsinho and welcome him back to our roster for the 2020 season," said Union Sporting Director Ernst Tanner. "His footwork and ability to press and possess on the attack are unmatched and proved to be crucial to our successful 2019 season, as they have over the last four seasons with the club. We look forward to what his continued leadership and skill will bring to our midfield this season."
Ilsinho made an MLS career high 28 appearances for the Union during the 2019 season, adding five goals and eight assists in that time. His eight assists tied for third most on the team and were also a career high for the midfielder. He appeared in both of the Union's playoff matches, including the club's historic home playoff win over the New York Red Bulls.
Ilsinho's 2019 season was marked by a memorable two-goals, one-assist game vs. Red Bulls. His three-point game pulled the team out of a two-goal deficit and led to an eventual 3-2 victory. The Union had a +24 goal differential when Ilsinho was on the field, with most of his contributions coming as a substitute (seven of his eight assists, and three of his five goals), earning him the title of supersub. Down by a goal, Ilsinho was subbed on ahead of the Union's regulation and overtime goals that led to their first-ever playoff win.
Prior to MLS, Ilsinho signed his first professional contract with Brazilian first division club Palmeiras. Aside from a couple of stints with Sao Paulo, he played the majority of his career with Ukrainian giants Shakhtar Donetsk before signing with the Union in 2016.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union re-signs midfielder Ilsinho on January 24, 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 24, 2020
- LAFC Announces Date Change for Home Match against FC Dallas - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs Corey Baird to Long-Term Contract Extension - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas' Road Match against LAFC Moved to September 13 - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF Officially Introduces Head Coach Diego Alonso - Inter Miami
- Orlando City Development Academy Adds Former Lion Antonio Nocerino to Coaching Staff - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC's Luis Diaz Receives International Call-Up - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Blake Bodily as Homegrown Player for 2020 Season - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Sign GK Cody Cropper - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Re-Acquires Nigerian Midfielder Orji Okwonkwo on Loan - Montreal Impact
- Atlanta United Loans Andrew Carleton to Indy Eleven - Atlanta United FC
- BBVA Stadium Hosts Dynamo Fan Fest on Saturday, January 25 - Houston Dynamo
- Minnesota United and Rodriguez Agree to Part Ways - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Midfielder Ilsinho - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Sign Team Captain Alejandro Bedoya to Contract Extension
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2020 Broadcast Schedule and Partners, PHL 17 and 6abc
- 2020 Leagues Cup Returns in July
- Philadelphia Union and Subaru of America Announce Stadium Naming Rights Partnership
- Philadelphia Union Foundation Announce Legends of Soccer Benefit