Timbers Sign Forward Foster Langsdorf as Homegrown Player for 2018
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced the signing of academy forward Foster Langsdorf as an MLS Homegrown Player for the 2018 season. Langsdorf becomes the second product of the Timbers Academy program to sign a Homegrown Player contract since the club's inaugural season in 2011.
Langsdorf, 22, capped off a four-year career at Stanford University (2014-2017) in which he helped lead the Cardinal to three straight NCAA National Championships (2015, 2016, 2017) and four straight Pac-12 titles (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017). Individually, Langsdorf finished his collegiate career as the Pac-12 career leader in points (86) and goals (37), while twice garnering Pac-12 Player of the Year honors (2016, 2017) and All-Pac 12 First-Team honors (2016, 2017). Langsdorf's 37 career goals were the most by a Stanford player in 34 years, which ranks sixth all-time in school history. Since Langsdorf's freshman season, Stanford established itself as the country's winningest program, sporting an overall record of 65-10-13 (.812).
In 2017, Langsdorf played in 23 matches, leading Stanford in goals scored (14), while ranking tied for second in assists (6) and being named a 2017 MAC Hermann Trophy semifinalist. In the 2017 NCAA College Cup men's soccer semifinal at Talen Energy Stadium on Dec. 8, Langsdorf registered the game-winning goal to propel his side to the NCAA final in a 2-0 win over the Akron Zips. Two days later, Stanford defeated Indiana University in the College Cup Final with Langsdorf being named to the College Cup All-Tournament Team.
A native of Vancouver, Wash., Langsdorf played for the Portland Timbers Academy from 2012-14, and was named the 2013 Timbers Academy Player of the Year. Additionally, Langsdorf played three seasons (2014-2016) for the Portland Timbers U23s in the PDL, featuring in 17 matches, while registering three goals and an assist.
Transaction: Portland Timbers sign forward Foster Langsdorf as a Homegrown Player on Jan. 19, 2018
Foster Langsdorf - Position: Forward Height: 5-10 Weight: 165 Born: Dec. 14, 1995, in Portland, Ore. Last Club: Stanford University College: Stanford University Citizenship: United States Acquired: Signed as a Homegrown Player for the 2018 season on Jan. 19, 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 20, 2018
- United Acquire $200,000 in Allocation Money from LAFC in Exchange - D.C. United
- Timbers Sign Forward Foster Langsdorf as Homegrown Player for 2018 - Portland Timbers
- New York Red Bulls Take Home Two MLS Club Executive Awards - New York Red Bulls
- Philadelphia Union Sign Homegrown Defender Mark McKenzie - Philadelphia Union
- Utah Royals FC Select Duke Goalkeeper EJ Proctor in NWSL Draft - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Acquires Defender Emiliano Amor - Sporting Kansas City
- Philadelphia Union Sign Homegrown Defender Matthew Real - Philadelphia Union
- SPR to Play 2018 Home Games at SM South District Stadium - Sporting Kansas City
- Top Southern California Youth Teams Added to LA Galaxy C - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Canadian International Full-Back Michael Petrasso Joins Impact - Montreal Impact
- Professional Referee Organization Promotes Howard Webb to GM - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.