Timbers Acquire Midfielder George Fochive
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers have acquired midfielder George Fochive (fo-SHEE-vay), it was announced today by the club. Fochive, originally drafted by the Timbers in 2014, joins the club from Israeli side Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv FC.
Fochive comes to the Timbers after having played the last three seasons in the Israeli Premier League with Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv FC (2021), Hapoel Kfar Saba FC (2020-21), and Hapoel Hadera FC (2019-20). With Hapoel Hadera, Fochive tallied three goals in 40 appearances across all competitions. He made 17 appearances in his one season with Hapoel Kfar Saba (2020-21) and appeared in seven matches earlier this year for Bnei Yehuda, tallying one goal.
Prior to his time in the Israeli Premier League, Fochive played four seasons with Danish Superliga side Viborg FF (2016-2019). The 29-year-old registered three goals in 64 appearances across all competitions.
The Washington, D.C. native began his professional career in Portland, selected by the Timbers with the first pick in the third round (No. 39 overall) of the 2014 MLS SuperDraft out of the University of Connecticut. Fochive made his Timbers debut in a 3-0 win over Orlando City U23s in the U.S. Open Cup on June 17, 2014, and was as a second-half substitute in Concacaf Champions League competition against Alpha United on Sept. 23, 2014. He also appeared in seven matches on loan with USL side Sacramento Republic FC during his rookie season.
In 11 MLS regular-season appearances in 2015, Fochive made eight starts in his second season with the Timbers. He made his MLS regular-season debut against Real Salt Lake on March 7, starting and logging 86 minutes in the club's season opener. He tallied his first career MLS assist against the Colorado Rapids in a 4-1 win on Oct. 25 at Providence Park. Fochive also made seven appearances on loan with T2 in USL during the 2015 season, recording four goals.
Transaction: Portland Timbers sign midfielder George Fochive through 2022.
Jersey Number: 14
Date of Birth: March 24, 1992
Birthplace: Washington D.C.
College: University of Connecticut
Last Club: Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv FC.
Acquired: Acquired on June 8, 2021
Roster Designation: Domestic
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 8, 2021
- Walker Zimmerman to Join U.S. Men's National Team for Friendly Match against Costa Rica - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Wins Three Northwest Emmy Awards - Seattle Sounders FC
- Academy Update: Scouting Department Building the Future - Inter Miami CF
- Kickoff Times Adjusted for Colorado Rapids Matches on August 28, October 31 - Colorado Rapids
- Kickoff Time for Sounders FC's Match at Sporting Kansas City on September 26 Changed to 4:00 p.m. PT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Kickoff Times Updated for Three Sporting KC Home Matches - Sporting Kansas City
- Updated Start Time for Minnesota United's August 28 Game at Houston Dynamo Announced - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder George Fochive - Portland Timbers
- Arlo White to Call Four Games on WGN-TV Starting June 19 - Chicago Fire FC
- FC Dallas Foundation and CornerStone Staffing Announce 2021 Community Action Grantees - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Home Match on October 30 Versus CF Montreal Set for 4 PM ET - New York Red Bulls
- Minnesota United Announce Ticket Sales Schedule - Minnesota United FC
- Construction at Parc Paul-André-Potvinin Shawinigan Progressing Well - Club de Foot Montreal
- The Pitch: MLS NEXT Products Lift USMNT to Concacaf Nations League Title - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.