Timbers Acquire Homegrown Player Rights for Midfielder Eryk
TIMBERS ACQUIRE HOMEGROWN PLAYER RIGHTS FOR MIDFIELDER ERYK WILLIAMSON FROM D.C. UNITED
Timbers acquire Homegrown Player rights for U.S. U-20 international in exchange for Targeted Allocation Money, General Allocation Money
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that the club has acquired the MLS Homegrown Player rights for midfielder Eryk Williamson from D.C. United in exchange for $100,000 General Allocation Money in 2018, $100,000 Targeted Allocation Money in 2019, a 2018 international spot and a natural second-round pick in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft.
"We are very pleased to announce the acquisition of midfielder Eryk Williamson," said Gavin Wilkinson, general manager and president of soccer for the Timbers. "Eryk is a talented young American player that we believe possesses the skillset and tools to one day become an impact player in MLS. This addition gives our club an exciting prospect for the future. We look forward to Eryk joining our group in preseason and getting to work with his new teammates and coaching staff."
Williamson, 20, has spent the past three seasons playing at the collegiate level with the University of Maryland, recording 14 goals and 13 assists in 58 appearances during that three-year span. Most recently, in 2017, Williamson started in 18 games for the Terrapins, tallying a team-high six goals and also adding five assists. Williamson was named 2017 Big Ten Midfielder of the Year and was also named to the United Soccer Coaches All-America third team, All-Midwest Region second team and the All-Big Ten first team.
"Eryk is a dynamic young midfielder that has shown his abilities at the youth levels in this country, and his talents were on display this summer with the United States at the U-20 FIFA World Cup," said Giovanni Savarese, head coach of the Timbers. "We believe Eryk is capable of further growth and development, and has the potential to become a quality player at the next level. He is a forward-thinking player and approaches the game with an aggressive mindset, which are traits that we believe will fit well within our group moving forward. We are excited to welcome Eryk to the Portland Timbers."
The Alexandra, Va., native has also featured at the international level, appearing in all 12 matches (10 starts) for the U-20 U.S. Men's National Team, recording one goal and two assists. While competing at the U-20 FIFA World Cup in the summer of 2017, Williamson started four of the five matches, helping the U-20 USMNT advance to the quarterfinals of the tournament.
"I see Portland as a great fit for Eryk as he takes the next step in his career," said Maryland head coach Sasho Cirovski. "He leaves the best fan base in college soccer, the Crew, that most closely resembles the passion and commitment of the Timbers Army. In Giovanni Savarese, he will have a coach that will appreciate Eryk's skillset and have the patience to nurture it."
Prior to joining the University of Maryland, Williamson also featured for the U-18 U.S. Men's National Team and D.C. United's U-18 Academy team.
Transaction: Portland Timbers acquire the MLS Homegrown Player rights for midfielder Eryk Williamson from D.C. United in exchange for $100,000 General Allocation Money in 2018, $100,000 Targeted Allocation Money in 2019, a 2018 international spot and a second-round pick in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft on Jan. 23, 2018.
Born: June 11, 1997, in Alexandria, Va.
College: University of Maryland
Citizenship: United States of America
Acquired: Acquired on Jan. 23, 2018
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 24, 2018
- LA Galaxy to Face Fresno FC in Santa Barbara During 2018 Preseason - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Spectrum SportsNet and Spectrum Deportes Announce 2018 LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Eriq Zavaleta Re-Signs with Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Timbers Acquire Homegrown Player Rights for Midfielder Eryk - Portland Timbers
- United Acquire $200K, a 2020 SuperDraft Pick and a 2018 - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Loans Midfielder Aaron Kovar to Los Angeles FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs MLS Goalkeeping Icon Nick Rimando to Multi-Year Contract - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Chris Pontius - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Utah Royals FC Add NWSL Champions Erika Tymrak and Mandy Laddish to Inaugural Roster - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Matt Lewis as Homegrown Player - Sporting Kansas City
- ALGERIAN INTERNATIONAL SAPHIR TAIDER JOINS IMPACT - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Extend Winning Streak to Five Matches with 2-1 Victory over Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Award $50,000 in Community Fund Grants
- Timbers Weekly Update
- Timbers, Thorns FC, T2 Team up with Local Partners to Present Seventh-Annual Stand Together Week June 9-15
- Timbers Notch Fourth Straight Victory with 1-0 Win over Cascadia-Rival Seattle Sounders FC