ThunderBolts Cruise to Second Straight Victory
ESTWOOD, IL - Kenny Mathews allowed only two hits over seven innings and the ThunderBolts hit two home runs on their way to a 7-0 win over the Evansville Otters at Ozinga Field Wednesday afternoon.
Patrick Mathis started the scoring with a solo home run to center field in the second inning. The ThunderBolts (3-3) added another run in the inning when Tyler Alamo doubled and Blair Beck singled him in.
The Otters (2-3) had two hits over the first three innings but, after a double play ended the third, they didn't get another baserunner off of Mathews. He struck out seven with no walks over his seven shutout innings. His seven innings ran the ThunderBolts starters' scoreless streak to 27 innings.
The ThunderBolts doubled their lead in the bottom of the sixth. Beck doubled, Shane Carrier singled and, with two outs, Brynn Martinez doubled them both in.
In the seventh inning, the Bolts put the game away as Alamo cranked out his first homer of the year. Dash Winningham followed with a walk and Tyler Straub doubled before both men scored on Randy Perez's first career RBI hit.
Mathews departed after retiring the last 13 batters he faced and the combination of Connor Mayes and Blake Hickman held the Otters to only one baserunner over the final two innings, securing the victory.
Mathews improved to 1-1 with the win and former ThunderBolt Jake Welch (0-1) took the loss after giving up four runs over his six innings.
The ThunderBolts look for the sweep in their second consecutive day game on Thursday. First pitch from Ozinga Field is at 10:35 for School Day II. Christian Morris (1-0, 0.00) makes the start for Windy City against Evansville's Randy Wynne. Fans not in attendance can listen on WXAV, 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Rascals Earn Doubleheader Split - River City Rascals
- Crushers lose to Miners 5-3 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Washington Forces Rubber Game with Win at Schaumburg - Washington Wild Things
- Otters Held to Two Hits in Loss to Windy City - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Come from Behind, Win in 13 - Gateway Grizzlies
- Slammers Fall to Grizzlies in 13 Innings - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Fall in Day Contest - Schaumburg Boomers
- Brocato's Big Hits Lead Miners over Crushers - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Cruise to Second Straight Victory - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Otters Bats Quieted by Bolts' Oller, Fall 7-3 - Evansville Otters
- Big Innings, Dominant Starting Pitching Propel ThunderBolts to Win - Windy City ThunderBolts