Big Innings, Dominant Starting Pitching Propel ThunderBolts to Win
CRESTWOOD, IL - The ThunderBolts jumped out to an early 7-0 lead to support a gem thrown by Adam Oller on their way to a 7-3 victory over the Evansville Otters in the home opener at Ozinga Field Tuesday night.
After scoring just eight total runs in their season-opening four game road trip, The ThunderBolts (2-3) jumped on the Otters early with four runs in the second inning. Dash Winningham opened the scoring with a solo home run, the Bolts' first long ball of the year.
Derek Bangert walked and Joe Becht reached on an error before Bangert was able to score on a botched rundown that followed a Blair Beck ground ball. Brynn Martinez's sacrifice fly scored Becht and David Oppenheim continued his hot start by hitting g a two-out double, scoring Beck and giving Windy City a 4-0 lead.
In the fourth inning, The Bolts loaded the bases on a walk, a single and a hit by pitch. Oppenheim came through again with a two-run single and Patrick Mathis hit a sacrifice fly to extend the lead to 7-0.
That was more than enough support for Oller who, after allowing an infield single in the first inning, retired the next 16 batters in a row. He threw seven innings overall, allowing only two hits and a walk. He struck out a career-high 16.
The Otters (2-2) scored three late runs off of the ThunderBolt bullpen, including one on a Mitchell Hansen home run, but they left two men on base in the ninth as the Bolts came out victorious in their debut at Ozinga Field.
Oller (1-1) picked up the win, lowering his ERA after two starts to 0.69. Tyler Beardsley (0-1) took the loss after allowing seven runs (five earned) over five innings.
The series continues with back-to-back day games. Wednesday morning is School Day I with a 10:35 start time at Ozinga Field. Kenny Mathews (0-1, 9.00) makes the start for Windy City against former ThunderBolt Jake Welch, making his Evansville debut. Fans not in attendance can listen on WXAV, 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Rascals Earn Doubleheader Split - River City Rascals
- Crushers lose to Miners 5-3 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Washington Forces Rubber Game with Win at Schaumburg - Washington Wild Things
- Otters Held to Two Hits in Loss to Windy City - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Come from Behind, Win in 13 - Gateway Grizzlies
- Slammers Fall to Grizzlies in 13 Innings - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Fall in Day Contest - Schaumburg Boomers
- Brocato's Big Hits Lead Miners over Crushers - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Cruise to Second Straight Victory - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Otters Bats Quieted by Bolts' Oller, Fall 7-3 - Evansville Otters
- Big Innings, Dominant Starting Pitching Propel ThunderBolts to Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.