Boomers Fall in Day Contest
HAUMBURG, IL - The Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, continued an early season trend of rallying, but dropped a 6-4 school day decision to the Washington Wild Things on Wednesday in the middle game of the series.
Washington scored two runs in the third inning for the second consecutive game to jump ahead against Schaumburg starter Connor Reed. Clint Hardy tied the game with a two-run homer in the bottom of the fourth with two outs. Washington loaded the bases with no outs in three consecutive frames but could not score until the third opportunity, plating three runs in the sixth and adding another in the seventh to open a 6-2 edge. Nick Oddo homered in the bottom of the seventh to draw the Boomers within 6-3. Schaumburg was able to load the bases in the ninth with no outs, but managed just one run against Washington closer Zach Strecker, leaving the tying runs on base.
Washington pounded out 16 hits in the game but left 12 on base. Reed worked four innings, allowing two runs in a no-decision. Erik Martinez suffered the loss in relief as a stretch of 14.2 innings without allowing a run came to an end for the bullpen. Connor Oliver, Wilkyns Jimenez and Oddo all posted two hits at the bottom of the lineup for the Boomers, who finished with eight.
The Boomers (2-3) have another matinee in store for the rubber game on Thursday with a 12:00 p.m. start on a The Office themed Business Day Game to close the first home series of the year. LHP Gunnar Kines (1-0, 0.00) will make his second start of the year opposite LHP Jon Havird (0-0, 3.00). Visit boomersbaseball.com for tickets or call 847-461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Rascals Earn Doubleheader Split - River City Rascals
- Crushers lose to Miners 5-3 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Washington Forces Rubber Game with Win at Schaumburg - Washington Wild Things
- Otters Held to Two Hits in Loss to Windy City - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Come from Behind, Win in 13 - Gateway Grizzlies
- Slammers Fall to Grizzlies in 13 Innings - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Fall in Day Contest - Schaumburg Boomers
- Brocato's Big Hits Lead Miners over Crushers - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Cruise to Second Straight Victory - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Otters Bats Quieted by Bolts' Oller, Fall 7-3 - Evansville Otters
- Big Innings, Dominant Starting Pitching Propel ThunderBolts to Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.