Washington Forces Rubber Game with Win at Schaumburg
HAUMBURG, Il. - A day after falling late to the Boomers, the Wild Things managed 17 hits and six runs in a win against Schaumburg to pull the series even at a game apiece. Designated hitter Trevor Abrams and shortstop Brett Marr both had three hits, and were two of six Washington hitters to have multi-hit games in the victory.
Michael Austin got the win on the mound, as his 5.2 innings of two-run ball helped pace Washington to its second win of the season. Austin allowed four hits and walked four, with five strikeouts. Tyler Barss pitched 2.1 innings in relief and allowed a run before Zach Strecker earned his second save, despite Schaumburg bringing the winning run to the plate in the bottom of the ninth.
Washington got the scoring started in the top of the third with a solo homer by Abrams, his first home run and RBI with the Wild Things. A few batters later, Wander Franco grounded out to score Marr to make it 2-0. Schaumburg responded with two in the fourth on a home run by Clint Hardy, the right fielder, tie the game.
Washington had the bases loaded with one out in the fourth and with nobody out in the fifth and failed to score, but when the Wild Things loaded the bags in the sixth, the visitors managed to plate three runs, highlighted by a base hit by second baseman Javier Betancourt.
Both teams score a singular run in the seventh before the Boomers added a run but failed to complete the comeback attempt in the ninth.
Washington and Schaumburg will lock horns in a rubber game tomorrow at 1:05 p.m. ET. John Havird takes the mound for Washington against Schaumburg's Gunnar Kines, in a matchup of southpaws.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Rascals Earn Doubleheader Split - River City Rascals
- Crushers lose to Miners 5-3 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Washington Forces Rubber Game with Win at Schaumburg - Washington Wild Things
- Otters Held to Two Hits in Loss to Windy City - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Come from Behind, Win in 13 - Gateway Grizzlies
- Slammers Fall to Grizzlies in 13 Innings - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Fall in Day Contest - Schaumburg Boomers
- Brocato's Big Hits Lead Miners over Crushers - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Cruise to Second Straight Victory - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Otters Bats Quieted by Bolts' Oller, Fall 7-3 - Evansville Otters
- Big Innings, Dominant Starting Pitching Propel ThunderBolts to Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Wild Things Stories
- Washington Clinches Second Road Sweep with Sunday Win
- Washington Clinches Series Win Saturday in Crestwood with Shutout Win
- Washington Takes Opener Behind Offensive Outburst
- Rubber Game in Washington Suspended in Second Due to Rain
- Wild Things Even Series with Rain-Shortened Win