Thunder Adds Leadership, Versatility in Texeira
Wichita, KS - The Wichita Thunder, ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Edmonton Oilers, AHL's Bakersfield Condors and powered by Toyota, announced today the signing of rookie defenseman Keoni Texeira (KEY-oh-knee TEX-cher-ah) for the 2018-19 season.
"Keoni came highly recommended by Mike Johnson (former Penguins coach) his coach in Portland," stated Head Coach Malcolm Cameron. "He was a part of some very successful junior hockey teams and played a key role in that success. He's a captain so we know he exhibits excellent leadership qualities as well as being a defenseman that can play any role. We look forward to Keoni making a big impact with us this season."
Texeira, 21, recently completed his fifth season with the Western Hockey League's Portland Winterhawks. A native of Fontana, California, the 6-foot, 210-pound defenseman served as the team's captain last year. He sits in second place all-time in Winterhawks history with 344 games played and notched 143 points (39g, 104a) over that span.
"I'm very excited to be turning pro this year," commented Texeira. "I've been working very hard and preparing a long time for this. I'm excited to get to meet my new teammates and help contribute to this team in any way I can in order to win the Kelly Cup. I've heard the fans and the city are both amazing and I'm excited to get things started!"
He was ranked the 143rd-best North American prospect by the NHL's Central Scouting Service prior to the 2015 NHL Draft. Texeira attended developmental camp as an undrafted free agent that season. Last summer, he was invited to mid-summer development camp with the Vegas Golden Knights and earned a spot in their main camp last September.
Texeira is the third Thunder player under contract, joining Dyson Stevenson and Jeremy Beaudry as players signed for the 2018-19 season.
Season tickets for the 2018-19 campaign are on sale now. Get your seats for just $15 per month. All it takes is a $1 down per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
Name your price for season tickets or suites during the month of June. Click here to submit your entry on what you would pay for season tickets and a Thunder representative will get you taken care of!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 28, 2018
- Steelheads Agree to Terms with Moroz - Idaho Steelheads
- Binetti and Tetrault Team up for Podcast - Rapid City Rush
- Walleye Unveil All-Star Weekend Jersey - Toledo Walleye
- Swamp Rabbits Partner with ESPN Upstate - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Add Three to Roster - Fort Wayne Komets
- Thunder Adds Leadership, Versatility in Texeira - Wichita Thunder
- Adirondack Thunder Announces Preseason Schedule - Adirondack Thunder
- Admirals Make First Signing of Summer, Ink Forward Locans - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Announce Home Preseason Game October 6 vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Americans to Host Education Day Game in December - Allen Americans
- Komets Add Three to Roster; Schaafsma, Binkley, Lowney Agree to Terms - Fort Wayne Komets
- Walleye Receive ECHL Award of Excellence - Toledo Walleye
- Klotz Returns as First Signee - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Welcome XYMOPrint as Presenting Sponsor for 2018-19 Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Re-Sign Steven Kaunisto - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.