Threshers Shut out Mets 2-0
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - The Clearwater Threshers blanked the St. Lucie Mets 2-0 on Wednesday night at First Data Field.
Two Threshers pitchers combined for the four-hit shutout. Starter Alejandro Requena gave up just one single and two walks over the first five innings to get his eighth win. Reliever Seth McGarry pitched the final four innings, scattering three singles, to earn his first save of the season with Clearwater.
The Mets have been limited to one run and 10 singles in the first two games of the series.
The loss spoiled an excellent start by Thomas Szapucki. The Mets lefty allowed just one run over six innings. It was his longest outing of the season.
Szapucki's one miscue was issuing his only walk of the night to Madison Stokes with one out in the sixth. Luke Miller followed with a long RBI double to center field to bring in Stokes for a 1-0 lead.
Szapucki struck out three and threw just 77 pitches.
The Threshers added an unearned insurance run in the seventh on a sac fly by Jhailyn Ortiz.
The Mets best chance to score came with two outs in the bottom of the eighth. With runners at second and third, Wagner Lagrange ripped a hard ground out to Stokes at third base to end the inning.
The Mets losing streak was stretched to season-high seven games. They have only scored seven runs and recorded one extra base hit in the skid.
The Mets (35-25, 67-59) and Threshers (27-35, 63-65) wrap up their series at First Data Field on Thursday. It is the final Dollar Night of the season. Enjoy $1 beer (8 oz. cans of Bud and Bud Light), $1 hot dogs, $1 soda and $1 popcorn. Fans who bring two non-perishable food items will receive a free ticket as part of Strikeout Hunger Night. First pitch is 6:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Schales Sinks Stone Crabs with Three-RBI Night - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Late Comeback Falls Short in 7-5 Loss to Miracle - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Threshers Lock Down Mets in Wednesday-Night Victory - Clearwater Threshers
- Orimoloye Overpowers Tortugas in Nail-Biter, 5-4 - Daytona Tortugas
- Tarpons Steal Late Tally in 4-3 Triumph - Florida Fire Frogs
- Threshers Shut out Mets 2-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Tampa Tarpons and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to refurbish local playing fields with Yellow Jackets Little League as part of MiLB Project: Refresh - Tampa Tarpons
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Wed, Aug 21 at Fort Myers - Charlotte Stone Crabs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.