Threshers Lock Down Mets in Wednesday-Night Victory
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - Alejandro Requena and Seth McGarry stood tall on Wednesday night, as the Clearwater Threshers' duo shut out the St. Lucie Mets, 2-0, to claim the three-game set at First Data Field. The win, paired with the Daytona Tortugas' loss to the Dunedin Blue Jays, gives the Threshers sole possession of first place in the Wild Card Standings by one game over Daytona with 11 games remaining.
Requena (8-10) took the bump after back-to-back losing decisions and blanked St. Lucie (67-59, 35-25) through the first five innings of the night. The right-hander gave up just one hit on a two-out single to Matt Winter in the second inning, but only allowed two other base runners with free passes to Carlos Cortes and Mitch Ghelfi.
Wednesday night's starter struck out a pair of batters and exited the game with a 1-0 advantage. The run came across on a Luke Miller double to center field, scoring Madison Stokes all the way from first in the top of the sixth inning.
Seth McGarry (SV, 1) tossed the final four frames out of the bullpen for Mary Malloy's club. The reliever put the tying run in scoring position with two outs in the eighth, but induced a ground out off the bat of Wagner LaGrange to get out of the jam.
Clearwater (63-65, 27-35) added an insurance run right before the stretch with a sacrifice fly by Jhailyn Ortiz, plating Ben Aklinski for the 2-0 edge. The 20-year-old has four RBIs through the first two games of the series.
The Threshers take aim at the series sweep in the finale of the three-game set on Thursday night at Spectrum Field. RHP James McArthur (1-1, 4.76) gets the call for the road team against the Mets' RHP Luc Rennie (7-6, 3.57). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m., with coverage beginning at 6:15 p.m. with Threshers Live! The Pregame Show.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Schales Sinks Stone Crabs with Three-RBI Night - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Late Comeback Falls Short in 7-5 Loss to Miracle - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Threshers Lock Down Mets in Wednesday-Night Victory - Clearwater Threshers
- Orimoloye Overpowers Tortugas in Nail-Biter, 5-4 - Daytona Tortugas
- Tarpons Steal Late Tally in 4-3 Triumph - Florida Fire Frogs
- Threshers Shut out Mets 2-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Tampa Tarpons and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to refurbish local playing fields with Yellow Jackets Little League as part of MiLB Project: Refresh - Tampa Tarpons
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Wed, Aug 21 at Fort Myers - Charlotte Stone Crabs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.