Three-Run 8th Puts O's over Chuks, 3-1
IDAHO FALLS, ID - Trailing into the bottom of the 8 th, three runs on four hits surged the Missoula Osprey (32-27, 12-9) over Idaho Falls (28-32, 7-16) Wednesday night, 3-1, at Melaleuca Field. With Billings falling at home, the Osprey win puts Missoula three games out of first in the North.
Osprey pitchers combined for 14 strikeouts, including a season-high six from Austin Pope in his longest outing of the season. Denson Hull (W, 1-2) allowed the first run to score in the top of the 8th , and the left-hander got the win for the Osprey, his first of 2019.
Missoula's Mitchell Stumpo nailed down his third save of the season, striking out the final two batters. Shortstop Nick Grande led the night offensively for the Osprey, finishing a perfect 3-3. RF Tristen Carranza knocked the decisive two-out, two-RBI single in the 8th to put the Osprey in front for good.
In a night of strong pitching from both bullpens, the Chukars put the pressure on with an RBI single in the top of the 8th, taking a 1-0 lead.
With one out in the bottom of the 8th, Nick Grande and Jose Reyes both singled. With runners at the corners, Cam Coursey squeezed Grande in from 3rd on a bunt to tie the game. With two outs, Carranza singled, scoring both Reyes and Coursey to seal the 3-1 Osprey final.
Missoula heads to Great Falls for a four-day, six-game road series. The Voyagers and Osprey are scheduled for a 7:00 pm start at Centene Stadium on Thursday night. The two will play a doubleheader on Friday and Sunday to make up from the postponed games from the Osprey's August 16-19 home-stand.
Missoula returns to Ogren Park at Allegiance Field for the final time of the 2019 regular season on Tuesday, August 27, to begin a pivotal, three-game series vs Billings.
All Osprey game tickets can be purchased at the MSO Hub Box Office, located at 140 North Higgins in Downtown Missoula, online at MissoulaOsprey.com and by phone (406) 543-3300.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 22, 2019
- Vibes Implode Late to Hand Game to Owlz - Rocky Mountain Vibes
- Series Opener Suspended in First Inning - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Mustangs and Chukars Suspended Thursday - Billings Mustangs
- Junction Loses Fourth Straight - Grand Junction Rockies
- Owlz Pummeled by Vibes, 13-2 - Orem Owlz
- Raptors Rally Past Rockies - Ogden Raptors
- Three-Run 8th Puts O's over Chuks, 3-1 - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Osprey Outlast Chukars in Pitchers Duel - Idaho Falls Chukars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Missoula PaddleHeads Stories
- Centerfield Cinema Plays on through October, New Titles Announced
- PaddleHeads, Missoula Freestyle Team Announce TGR: Make Believe Premiere
- PaddleHeads, Roxy Theater Announce Centerfield Cinema: Concert Series
- Now Teeing Off: Paddle Beach Golf Club
- Jazz Chisholm to Become 75th Missoula Alum to Reach the Show