Osprey Outlast Chukars in Pitchers Duel
Idaho Falls, ID - In what was one of the best pitched games of the season, the Idaho Falls Chukars and the Missoula Osprey were locked in a scoreless battle through the first seven innings tonight at Melaleuca Field, a road game for the Chukars. Idaho Falls broke the scoreless tie with a run in the top of the eighth inning, but the Osprey had the last laugh, scoring three in the bottom of the eighth inning. The Chukars went down in order in the ninth inning, falling 3-1 and splitting the two game series with Missoula.
Alec Marsh got the start for the Chukars, allowing just one hit over three scoreless innings. Marsh threw just 21 pitches and faced the minimum, picking off Nick Grande, who reached on a bunt single. Cody Davenport followed with three scoreless innings of his own, striking out three and allowing just one hit.
The quartet of Bobby Ay, Austin Pope, Pedro Zorrila, and Jared Liebelt combined to allow just four hits over seven innings. Denson Hull came in the for the eighth, and the Chukars finally broke the ice. Tyler James started the inning with a walk, and got to second on a throwing error from catcher Axel Andueza. Kember Nacero with one out squirted a ball through the right side, scoring James to make it 1-0 Chukars.
In the bottom of the eighth though, Missoula put together a timely rally. Grande with one out reached on an infield single, and Jose Reyes followed with a single to right that moved Grande to third. Cam Coursey then put down a perfect bunt down the third base line, scoring Grande to tie the game. A groundout from Andueza moved both runners into scoring position. That brought up Tristen Carranza, who then singled home both runners, putting Missoula in front 3-1.
The Chukars got one runner on via an error in the ninth inning, but couldn't get anymore base runners on. Idaho Falls and Missoula have split the season series at eight games apiece.
Tomorrow the Chukars continue their modified road trip as they head north to Billings for a four game series. First pitch tomorrow night is at 6:35 PM, with the pregame show hitting the airwaves of ESPN 980 The Sports Zone at 6:20 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 22, 2019
- Vibes Implode Late to Hand Game to Owlz - Rocky Mountain Vibes
- Series Opener Suspended in First Inning - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Mustangs and Chukars Suspended Thursday - Billings Mustangs
- Junction Loses Fourth Straight - Grand Junction Rockies
- Owlz Pummeled by Vibes, 13-2 - Orem Owlz
- Raptors Rally Past Rockies - Ogden Raptors
- Three-Run 8th Puts O's over Chuks, 3-1 - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Osprey Outlast Chukars in Pitchers Duel - Idaho Falls Chukars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Falls Chukars Stories
- Tyler Petersen Named New Director of Broadcasting and Media Relations.
- Help Us Support Fire Efforts in Australia
- Chukars Celebrating Jerseys for Charity Program
- Pioneer League Championship Trophy Appearance Friday
- Chukars Outlast Raptors to Win Pioneer League Title