Three RockHounds Earn Player of the Week Honors
Not only did the RockHounds sweep the Texas League's weekly honors, they made it a "hat trick."
Richie Martin is the league's Batter of the Week with Ben Bracewell and Parker Dunshee named TL co-Pitchers of the Week for August 20-26.
Bracewell and Parker threw back-to-back gems, both against the league's top club, the Corpus Christi Hooks, on August 23 and 24.
Ben went eight scoreless innings in a 5-0 win Thursday night at Whataburger Field, combining with Jarret Martin on a three-hitter. Bracewell struck out a career-high 10 batters, while allowing just three hits and one walk. In 15 starts for the 'Hounds, the right-hander (who has also made eight starts for the Triple-A Nashville Sounds), is eight-and-two-thirds innings shy of officially qualifying among the league leaders, but his 3.09 ERA would rank second in the TL.
The next night, Parker took a no-hitter into the eighth inning, departing after seven-and-a-third having allowed just two walks while striking out seven. The collective no-hit bid was broken up in the ninth inning, but the 'Hounds went on to a 3-1 win over the Hooks. Since his promotion to the RockHounds from (Advanced-A) Stockton on June 22, the right-hander is 6-4, with a 2.20 ERA (11 starts) and 75 strikeouts against just 13 walks.
Martin went 9-for-24 (.375) for the week, including the first multi-home run game of his professional career. The 'Hounds middle infielder hit a pair of solo homers on August 23 Corpus Christi, backing Bracewell's outstanding performance on the mound. Richie added a double and a triple for the week, scoring six runs and driving in six more. He walked five times for a .483 on-base percentage and added his team-leading 22nd stolen base. For the season, the former first round draft choice out of the University of Florida (2015) is hitting a career-best .288 (53 points above his career average entering 2018).
The performances from Martin, Bracewell and Dunshee helped lead the RockHounds to a 51 record for the week, with all five games coming on the road. The 'Hounds took 3-of-4 against the Hooks at Corpus Christi, followed by back-to-back wins at Frisco.
The 'Hounds have now had the last two Pitcher of the Week award winners. Norge Ruiz captured the honor for August 13-19 prior to Bracewell and Dunshee sharing this week's honor.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Mieses and Cards Beat Drillers Again - Tulsa Drillers
- SA Blanks CC, Avoids Sweep - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Riders Hurdle 'Hounds in Series Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Arkansas Salvages Finale over Naturals - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Three RockHounds Earn Player of the Week Honors - Midland RockHounds
- Michael Wacha to Rehab Tuesday in Springfield - Springfield Cardinals
- Ryan Rua Scheduled to Rehab with Riders Starting Tonight - Frisco RoughRiders
- Bats Come Alive in Hounds Fourth Straight Win - Midland RockHounds
- Mieses and Cards Slam Drillers, 7-4, in 10 Innings - Springfield Cardinals
- Hood Drives Riders Offense in 7-3 Loss - Frisco RoughRiders
- Tenth-Inning Slam from Mieses Beats Drillers - Tulsa Drillers
- McCann Leads Raspas to Series Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.