Three Points: Houston Dynamo Host LA Galaxy for Damarcus Beasley Sendoff
HOUSTON (Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019) - The Houston Dynamo close the regular season on Sunday when they host Zlatan Ibrahimovic and the LA Galaxy for Fan Appreciation Day, presented by BBVA. The Dynamo will also celebrate the career of DaMarcus Beasley who will retire after Sunday's match.
Houston enters Sunday's match with back-to-back victories at BBVA Stadium and look to finish the regular season with a 10-3-4 record at home, which would be the fifth time in club history that the Dynamo finish with 10 or more victories at home.
The Dynamo look to even the series on Sunday after falling to the Galaxy 2-1 in the first meeting of the regular season on April 19. Alberth Elis equalized for Houston in the 53rd minute off a penalty kick, but a set piece goal from Diego Polenta gave the Galaxy three points.
The Galaxy visit BBVA Stadium after qualifying for the 2019 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs last Wednesday with a 2-1 victory over Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium. The Galaxy return to the postseason for the first time since 2016 and missed the postseason last year after the Dynamo overcame a two-goal deficit in Carson on Decision Day, presented by AT&T, to finish the season with a 3-2 victory.
Houston Dynamo vs. LA Galaxy
Sunday, Oct. 6 - 3:00 p.m. CDT
KUBE-TV - Glenn Davis, Bobby Boswell, Cindy Burbano
Univision Radio 1010 AM - Daniel Mejia & Lester Gretsch
Here are three key points ahead of tonight's game:
FAREWELL DMB - DaMarcus Beasley will retire from professional soccer on Sunday after a 20-year career that began in 1999 when the defender was allocated to the LA Galaxy. Beasley joined the Dynamo on July 23, 2014 after playing professionally in Scotland, Holland, Mexico and Germany. The U.S. Men's National Team veteran would go on to play 123 matches for the Dynamo and win the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. Houston will look to sendoff Beasley with a victory after dropping back-to-back games on the road last week. Houston fell 3-1 to Los Angeles Football Club last Wednesday and 2-1 to Real Salt Lake in Utah on Sunday.
ARNAUD GOES FOR THIRD CONSECUTIVE VICTORY AT BBVA -- Davy Arnaud will look for his third victory with the Dynamo on Sunday and lead the team to a 10-win season at home for the fifth time in club history. Arnaud led the Dynamo to a 2-0 victory over Minnesota United on Sept. 11 and 10 days later Houston defeated Orlando City 2-1, both in East Downtown. The former striker was named the interim head coach on Aug. 13 and snapped a five-game losing streak when the Dynamo came from behind to draw with the Colorado Rapids 2-2 on Aug. 17.
ZLATAN AND GALAXY AIM FOR SECOND SEED - The Galaxy need a victory to secure a postseason match at home for the first time since 2016. Zlatan Ibrahimovic has spearheaded the Galaxy offense this season and he scored his 29th goal of the season last Sunday in a 4-3 loss to Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Dignity Health Sports Park. The upset left the Galaxy in fourth place and the Southern California side can finish as low as fifth place or as high as second on Sunday. The 37-year-old Swedish forward has scored six goals in the last four games which includes a hat trick in a 7-2 victory over Sporting Kansas City on Sept. 15. Ibrahimovic has linked well with Cristian Pavon who has scored two goals and tallied eight assists in 10 matches with the Galaxy. The Argentine forward joined the club on loan from Boca Juniors on Aug. 8.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 5, 2019
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Minnesota United FC - October 6, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Hosts Colorado Rapids in 2019 Regular Season Finale - Los Angeles FC
- Six Additional Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Host LA Galaxy for Damarcus Beasley Sendoff - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Visits Vancouver Whitecaps FC in Final Match of 2019 Regular Season - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire Defender Francisco Calvo, Midfielder Przemyslaw Frankowski Receive International Call-Ups - Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Toronto FC on Sunday - Columbus Crew SC
- Four FC Cincinnati Players Called up to Respective National Teams - FC Cincinnati
- Minnesota United FC vs. Seattle Sounders Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Atlanta United FC - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo Acquire Darwin Quintero, Draft Pick from Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo Adds Omid Namazi and Pablo Mastroeni as Assistant Coaches
- Houston Dynamo Name Tab Ramos Head Coach
- Mexican Powers Club America & C.F. Monterrey to Face off in LIGA MX Friendly at BBVA Stadium
- Four Houston Dynamo Players Called up for International Duty