Ten Colorado Rapids Players Set to Make Appearances in 2021 USL Championship Playoffs
This season, all ten Rapids squad members on loan have secured a playoff berth with their respective USL teams, including Rapids USL Championship affiliate Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC, San Antonio FC, San Diego Loyal SC and Phoenix Rising FC.
SEBASTIAN ANDERSON, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
Highlands Ranch, CO
Anderson grew up training in the Rapids Academy before signing a Homegrown Contract 2019 to become the youngest signing in club history at 16. With the Rapids, he was the youngest player to debut with the club and score a goal. This season with the Switchbacks, Anderson has recorded 12 shots in the 25 games he has played and started in.
MICHAEL EDWARDS, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
After the Rapids acquired Edwards' Homegrown Priority from D.C. United, the 20-year-old defender spent time in Germany with VfL Wolfsburg before returning to Colorado. In his time with the Switchbacks, Edwards has scored two goals and started in 21 games.
ABRAHAM RODRIGUEZ, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
Rodriguez has made 27 appearances over the past three years for Colorado Springs and was named USL Championship Player of the Week after making 11 saves in his professional debut in March 2019. He earned recognition as one of the USL Championship's 20 Under 20 in 2019 and has made 23 saves in 6 starts this season with the Switchbacks.
DANTOUMA "YAYA" TOURE, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
Before the Rapids acquired Toure's Homegrown Priority from New York Red Bulls in March, he spent the 2020 season with New York Red Bulls II in the USL Championship, scoring three goals and adding three assists in 13 appearances. With the Switchbacks this season, the 17-year-old forward has recorded three goals in 21 appearances.
PHILLIP MAKAYA, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
Makaya was selected third overall by the Rapids in the 2021 MLS SuperDraft from Clemson University. In his time with the Switchbacks since March, the midfielder has recorded three shots in 18 appearances. He was also called up to Kenya's international team for World Cup Qualifiers in September.
DARREN YAPI, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
Yapi took over Anderson's record of youngest Rapids Homegrown signing in March 2021, making 4 appearances with the club before joining the Switchbacks side. In his time with Switchbacks FC, the 16-year-old has recorded two goals and ten shots in 16 appearances.
MATT HUNDLEY, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
Hundley is back for his second round with the Switchbacks after joining the club on loan in 2019 to make 29 appearances and score one goal. Before his time with the Colorado Springs side, Hundley was the 10th Rapids Academy product to sign a Homegrown contract with the club in January 2019. This season, the forward has recorded one shot in three appearances with the Switchbacks.
ANDRE RAWLS, Phoenix Rising FC
San Ramon, CA
Since being drafted by New York City FC in the third round of the 2015 MLS SuperDraft, Rawls has made 66 appearances in the USL Championship with the Wilmington Hammerheads, Orange County SC and Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC. Rawls joined the Rapids in 2019 and was loaned out to Phoenix Rising for the 2021 season, where he has since recorded 54 saves and six clean sheets in 19 appearances.
OLIVER LARRAZ, San Diego Loyal SC
Larraz signed with Colorado in March 2021 as a Homegrown player and made his pro debut as he was subbed on in a match against Houston Dynamo May 15. Since joining Landon Donovan's side San Diego Loyal SC in May, Larraz has scored one goal and recorded one assist in his nine appearances with the club.
KORTNE FORD, San Antonio FC
Before joining San Antonio FC, Ford signed a Homegrown contract with the Rapids in 2017, going on to make 35 appearances and earn one goal in his first two seasons. After suffering two knee injuries that sidelined him for the 2019 and 2020 season, Ford has recorded three goals in 11 starts for San Antonio this season since August.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 22, 2021
- Sounders FC Hosts Sporting Kansas City Saturday in Matchup of Top Two Teams in Western Conference - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Ten Colorado Rapids Players Set to Make Appearances in 2021 USL Championship Playoffs - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Look to Clinch Playoffs on Saturday against Visiting Portland Timbers - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Defender Noah Powder Suspended for Three Matches - MLS
- Inter Miami CF Eligible for Extreme Hardship, Adds Aimé Mabika to Roster for FC Cincinnati Match - Inter Miami CF
- Injury Report: Two out vs. D.C. United - New York City FC
- Brad Stuver, Derrick Chubbs Announced as 4ATX Foundation's 2021 Legend of the Year Award Recipients - Austin FC
- CF Montréal Meets Toronto FC Saturday Night at BMO Field - Club de Foot Montreal
- What to Watch for as Nashville Faces Philadelphia Union in a Crucial Road Match - Nashville SC
- Real Salt Lake Heads East to Face Chicago Fire FC on Saturday - Real Salt Lake
- With More Than 30,000 Tickets Distributed, Chicago Fire FC Encourages Fans to Arrive Early to Tomorrow's Match - Chicago Fire FC
- Red Bulls Travel to Lower.Com Field to Battle Columbus Crew SC - New York Red Bulls
- Keys to the Game: Keep Your Eyes on the Prize - Colorado Rapids
- Keys to the Match: Decisions, Decisions - New York City FC
- Austin FC, Q2 to Award Grants to Local Nonprofits Through New Q-mmunity Gives Program - Austin FC
- Best in West as Sporting Visits Seattle - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF to Host FC Cincinnati on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Charlotte FC Appoint Andy Quy as Goalkeeper Coach - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- The 12 Biggest Storylines from the Rapids 2021 Season
- Mark-Anthony Kaye up for Canada Soccer Player of the Year
- Three Rapids Players Receive Call up Ahead of USMNT Match with Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Colorado Rapids Announce Year-End Roster Updates
- Colorado Rapids Sign Forward Michael Barrios to One-Year Extension