'Tees Blank Charlotte to Split Doubleheader
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla.- Behind six shutout innings by starting pitcherHobbs Johnson, the Brevard County Manatees downed the Charlotte Stone Crabs, 3-0 in game two of Monday's doubleheader at Charlotte Sports Park.
Johnson carried a no-hitter into the fifth inning before giving out a one-out single to Kes Carter. Prior to that, the southpaw had set down the first 13 Stone Crabs hitters with just one strikeout.
Brevard's starting pitcher had to work out of trouble after surrendering the no-hit bid. Jake Depew followed Carter's single with a bloop hit to shallow left field. Charlotte (27-28) had runners on first and second with one out, but Johnson struck out both Marty Gantt and Julian Ridings to end the inning.
Johnson only allowed one more hit the rest of the way, which happen to be against his former college teammate at the University of North Carolina, Tommy Coyle. In the end, Johnson (5-6, 2.66 ERA) finished the game with six scoreless innings under his belt, three hits allowed and three strikeouts.
Brevard County (29-27) scored its three runs in three separate innings. A two-out rally opened the scoring in the top of the third whenOrlando Arciaslammed a triple to right field.Tyrone Taylorcame up next and singled up the middle to score Arcia with the game's first run.
The 'Tees added insurance the following inning, asAlfredo Rodriguezstarted the frame with a double to left field and thenMike Garzahit a one-out bloop single to right to put runners on the corners.Parker Berberetthen hit a hard line drive to left field. Berberet's liner was caught on the track by Ridings, but Rodriguez scored from third to give the 'Tees a 2-0 lead.
A series of walks gave the Manatees their final run. Stone Crabs' reliever Nick Sawyer walked four men in the sixth; including a bases-loaded free pass toJose Sermoto drive in Rodriguez.
The Manatees held a 3-0 lead going into the seventh andMark Williamscame in for the save. Williams worked a perfect frame with two ground outs and a fly out to record his second Florida State League save of the year.
The Manatees will go for the four-game series split against the Stone Crabs on Tuesday night, with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m.Tyler Wagner(4-3, 1.94) will pitch for the 'Tees against Charlotte's Jeff Ames (1-6, 6.29).
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 2, 2014
- 'Tees Blank Charlotte to Split Doubleheader - Brevard County Manatees
- Brevard Drops Twinbill Opener in Extras - Brevard County Manatees
- Bats Quiet in 5-0 Loss - Clearwater Threshers
- Chung's Knock Dooms Jupiter - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Yankees Dispose of Fort Myers, 8-2 - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Cubs Squash Rally, Edge Mets 3-1 - St. Lucie Mets
- Jose Berrios Named FSL Pitcher of the Week - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Dunedin Blue Jays RF Marcus Knecht Named FSL Player of the Week - Dunedin Blue Jays
- FSL Names Pitcher & Player of the Week - FSL
- Miracle Hire Delroy Gay as Sales Advisor - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.