Brevard Drops Twinbill Opener in Extras
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla.- For the second straight game, the Brevard County Manatees fell victim to a walk-off hit off the bat of Jonathan Quinonez as they fell 2-1 in ten innings to the Charlotte Stone Crabs, in the first game of Monday night's doubleheader at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Stone Crabs' third baseman had already delivered a walk-off hit on Saturday night and he came to the plate with the score tied 1-1 and Marty Gantt on first base. Gantt had worked a one-out walk againstStephen Peterson, to give Quinonez a chance to be the hero for the second straight game. Quinonez did just that, as he roped a double to left-center field to score Gantt with the game-winning run.
Brevard County had taken an early lead thanks toNicky Delmonico. Delmonico led off the second inning by driving a high fly ball over the right field wall to put the 'Tees on top, 1-0.
The Manatees held the lead until the bottom of the fifth, when Charlotte's Maxx Tissenbaum sparked a rally. Tissenbaum ripped a leadoff double to right-center and moved to third on a wild pitch by Brevard County starting pitcherJorge Lopez. Josh Sale then worked a walk to put runners on the corners with nobody out.
Lopez settled down and induced a ground ball double play off the bat of Gantt. However, Tissenbaum came across to score the tying run, to knot the score at 1-1.
That score remained the same until Quinonez's clutch double in the tenth. With the loss, the Manatees have now suffered six walk-off losses this season and have not had a walk-off victory of their own.
Peterson took the loss for the 'Tees. He allowed the one run over 1.1 innings of work. The left-hander struck out one, walked one and allowed a pair of hits.
In the no-decision, Lopez allowed one run on three hits, while walking two and fanning five.
Scott Liesermade his Manatees debut, as well. He pitched a pair of scoreless innings in relief of Lopez. The St. Cloud State product did not allow a hit and struck out two.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 2, 2014
- 'Tees Blank Charlotte to Split Doubleheader - Brevard County Manatees
- Brevard Drops Twinbill Opener in Extras - Brevard County Manatees
- Bats Quiet in 5-0 Loss - Clearwater Threshers
- Chung's Knock Dooms Jupiter - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Yankees Dispose of Fort Myers, 8-2 - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Cubs Squash Rally, Edge Mets 3-1 - St. Lucie Mets
- Jose Berrios Named FSL Pitcher of the Week - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Dunedin Blue Jays RF Marcus Knecht Named FSL Player of the Week - Dunedin Blue Jays
- FSL Names Pitcher & Player of the Week - FSL
- Miracle Hire Delroy Gay as Sales Advisor - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.