T-Birds Drop Second Straight to Vipers
Rio Rancho, NM - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (21-9) finished off a two-game sweep of the New Mexico Thunderbirds (14-18) on Saturday night, winning by a score of 116-96.
In the first quarter with the score tied 7-7, the Vipers went on an 8-0 run to open up a 15-7 lead. Led by Jeff Adrien, who had eight first quarter points, the Vipers extended their lead to 27-16 at the end of one.
The Thunderbirds closed the gap to single digits in the second quarter, but then the Vipers answered with a 10-2 run for their largest lead of the game, 14 points. The Thunderbirds shot just 28.6% (10-35) in the first half and trailed 51-38 at the break.
For the second straight night the Vipers went on a big third quarter run to take control of the game. With the score 55-44, the Vipers scored 20 of the next 26 points to take a 75-50 lead. They would lead 90-68 heading into the fourth quarter.
Six Vipers ended up with double figures lead by Adrien who picked up his 16th double-double of the season scoring 25 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.
Dar Tucker led the Thunderbirds in scoring with 24 points.
The Thunderbirds will be back in action on Thursday, Feb. 10 when they visit the Erie Bayhawks at 5 p.m. MT.
Twenty of the NBA Development League's top prospects, including seven who have already been called up to the NBA, have been chosen to join the NBA All-Stars in Los Angeles to play in the fifth annual NBA D-League All-Star Game Presented by SonoSite on Saturday, Feb. 19, on Center Court at NBA All-Star Jam Session presented by adidas. The game will air live on NBA TV at 5 p.m. ET.
Selected to the NBA D-League All-Star East Team were Chris Johnson (Dakota Wizards), Ivan Johnson and Garrett Temple (Erie BayHawks), Walker Russell Jr. (Fort Wayne Mad Ants), Othyus Jeffers, Courtney Sims and Curtis Stinson (Iowa Energy), DeShawn Sims (Maine Red Claws), Patrick Ewing Jr. and Dexter Pittman (Sioux Falls Skyforce).
Chosen to the NBA D-League All-Star West Team along with Alexander and Williams, playing host to the East Team in Los Angeles, were Marcus Cousin (Austin Toros), Trey Johnson (Bakersfield Jam), Shane Edwards (New Mexico Thunderbirds), Jeff Adrien and Mustafa Shakur (Rio Grande Valley Vipers), Larry Owens and Zabian Dowdell (Tulsa 66ers) and Orien Greene (Utah Flash).
Thunderbirds' season tickets are currently on sale, with full and partial season packages available. Single game tickets are also now available online at www.nmtbirds.com or by calling 505-265-3865. The Thunderbirds also offer family four packs: 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 nachos, and 4 drinks for $44.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 5, 2011
- Skyforce wins battle - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Stampede Swept By Reno - Idaho Stampede
- Vipers Complete Season Sweep of Thunderbirds - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- T-Birds Drop Second Straight to Vipers - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Wizards Crush the Red Claws - Dakota Wizards
- Landry, Sloan Lead 'Horns Past Stampede, 105-103 - Reno Bighorns
- Flash Drop Second Straight Road Game - Utah Flash
- Haynes, Stinson Fuel Energy's 117-94 Win Over Utah - Iowa Wolves
- Tulsa Falls Short in Texas, 110-94 - Tulsa 66ers
- Daniels' Big Night Propels Legends To Victory - Texas Legends
- Jeremy Lin Recalled by Warriors - Reno Bighorns
- Wizards Acquire Center Chris Ayer - Dakota Wizards
- Larry Owens Rejoins Tulsa 66ers - Tulsa 66ers
- BayHawks Out-Shoot Toros - Austin Spurs
- Johnson Returns to Dakota - Dakota Wizards
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Austin Toros Make Trade with Tulsa 66ers - Austin Spurs
- Tulsa Announces Acquisition and Trade of Moses Ehambe for Third Round Draft Pick - Tulsa 66ers
- Bakersfield Wins 3-Point Shoot-Out - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.