Suns take two from Power
Hagerstown, MD (June 8, 2006) - The Hagerstown Suns took two games from the West Virginia Power in a double header at Municipal Stadium in Hagerstown, Maryland, winning 1-0 in the first game and 6-4 in the second.
In game one Hagerstown scored the only run of the contest in the bottom of the fourth inning on a two out RBI double from Leivi Ventura. The Power had runners on first and second base when Ryan Crew flew out deep into right field to end the game. The 1-0 loss marked the third time this year that the Power have been shut out.
In game two the Suns jumped on top 3-0 in the first inning. Joe Holden scored the first run on a wild pitch and Nick Evans knocked in the next two runs with his ninth homerun of the season. In the second inning Ned Yost led off with a double and scored on a wild pitch. Nick Evans ripped an RBI double in the bottom of the third to give the Suns a 4-1 lead and the Suns scored their final two runs on RBI singles from Jon Schemmel and Jonathan Sanchez. Angel Salome brought the Power with in two on a pinch hit three run double in the top of the seventh inning. The game ended when Michael Brantley hit a ball deep into left center field where center fielder Fernando Martinez made a terrific diving catch.
In game one Eric Brown (3-2) pitched a complete game shutout to earn the win and Rafael Lluberes (3-3) obtained the loss despite only allowing a run on four hits through five innings. In game two Deolis Guerrera (1-3) earned the victory, German Marte (3) earned the save and Robbie Wooley (2-2) obtained the loss. The Power are 32-27 after the losses and the Suns improved to 23-37 with the wins.
The Power will begin a three game series against the Hickory Crawdads at L.P. Frans Stadium in Hickory, North Carolina on Friday night. Hickory will start right hander Joe Bauserman (3-4, 3.75) and the Power will counter with left hander Derek Miller (6-1, 2.95). The first pitch is scheduled for 7:00 PM.
For more information contact the Power Front Offices at (304) 344-2287 or visit the Power website at www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2006
- Crawdads hurt Hoppers' hopes with sweep - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves bats come alive to sting GreenJackets - Rome Braves
- Suns sweep Power - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive blanked by RiverDogs, 1-0 - Greenville Drive
- Tourists tie series with Kannapolis win - Asheville Tourists
- Suns take two from Power - West Virginia Power
- Captains wallop Legends, 16-1 - Lake County Captains
- Savannah Salvages Series Finale with Catfish, 3-1 - Columbus Catfish
- RiverDogs' Mike Veeck Tabbed for Induction into SAL Hall of Fame - Charleston RiverDogs
- Chris Vines Placed On Disabled List - Rome Braves
- Promo-packed homestand starts tomorrow - Charleston RiverDogs
- USA Baseball World Championships Tour to stop in Greensboro - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Pair of I's Named All-Stars - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.