Strong Defense Sends Oklahoma City over Austin
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma City Blue (19-6) defeated the Austin Spurs (12-12), 104-92, on Tuesday night.
Oklahoma City led for much of the second half, but the Spurs came back to trim their deficit to two points in the fourth quarter. A layup from Chris Wright kicked off a run for the Blue, and the Spurs couldn't close the gap.
Wright led Oklahoma City with 21 points, 12 coming in the second half, seven rebounds and three blocks off the bench.
"I was really happy with how we competed tonight and thought we played a full 48-minute game from a competitive standpoint," Head Coach Mark Daigneault said. "I was especially pleased with our defense in the second half and I thought that won us the game."
The Blue recorded a season-high 15 steals and scored 23 points on 25 Austin turnovers.
After trailing 49-44 heading into halftime, Oklahoma City outscored the Spurs by six points to start the third quarter, to take a one-point lead it would not relinquish for the remainder of the game. Two-way player Deonte Burton scored nine third-quarter points as the Blue won the period, 30-19.
Burton finished with 15 points, five rebounds and two steals while fellow two-way player Donte Grantham scored 12 points to go with seven rebounds and a career-high-tying four steals.
Two-way player Drew Eubanks led the way for Austin with a career-high 26 points and 11 rebounds.
Up next, the Blue heads back on the road for a two-game road trip starting at the Salt Lake City Stars on Jan. 10 at 8 p.m. at the Lifetime Activities Center-Bruin Arena.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 9, 2019
- Suns Drop Riveting Contest in Wisconsin - Northern Arizona Suns
- Wolves Down Charge at Home - Iowa Wolves
- Charge Fall Flat in Iowa - Canton Charge
- Blue Coats' Third Straight Win Is Magic - Delaware Blue Coats
- Strong Defense Sends Oklahoma City over Austin - Austin Spurs
- Clippers Fall to Skyforce for First Loss of 2019 - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Strong Defense Sends Oklahoma City over Austin - Oklahoma City Blue
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.