Stewart Shines Again; Claws Blank Suns 6-0
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Will Stewart threw seven scoreless innings to lead the BlueClaws to their second straight shutout and 14th of the year in a 6-0 win over Hagerstown on Wednesday night at FirstEnergy Park.
The BlueClaws have now thrown a Minor League Baseball-leading 14 shutouts on the year, including four in June and five since May 30th. They have allowed just one run in their last 41 innings and as a team have an ERA of just 2.51, best among all 120 full-season Minor League Baseball clubs.
Lakewood (39-26) won their fifth straight game, one off the season high. However, with Kannapolis' game cancelled, the BlueClaws, while 1.5 back with four games left, have seen their elimination number fall to just three.
Stewart (6-0), gave up four hits over seven innings, lowering his ERA to 1.13, best in the league. Connor Brogdon and Kyle Dohy threw an inning apiece to complete the shutout.
The BlueClaws got RBI doubles in the first inning from Jhailyn Ortiz and Jake Scheiner to take a 2-0 lead. They added two more runs in the fourth on an RBI single from Kevin Markham and an RBI triple from Maton to go up 4-0.
Suns starter Nick Raquet (4-6) came out after four, allowing five runs.
Lakewood added to their lead in the sixth on an RBI double from Jesus Alastre.
The BlueClaws got a season-high 15 hits including a season-high six doubles. Alastre went 3-4 and Kevin Markham was 3-5. Nick Maton, Jhailyn Ortiz, Jake Scheiner, and Josh Stephen had two hits in the win.
The BlueClaws will look for the sweep on Thursday night at 7:05 pm. LHP Kyle Young (1-3) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Kyle Johnston (0-2).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 13, 2018
- RiverDogs Squander Chances Aplenty, Fall in 11 Innings to Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Capitalizes on Late Miscues in 3-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Wild 9th Inning Costs GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Asheville Holds off Charleston in Extras - Asheville Tourists
- Stewart Shines Again; Claws Blank Suns 6-0 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Fall 6-0 in Second-Straight Shutout on Wednesday - Hagerstown Suns
- Rain Forces Another Cancellation - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Game Cancelled - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Baranek's Slam Stifles Crawdads - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Legends Shutout in Afternoon Affair Facing Fireflies - Lexington Legends
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (June 13) - West Virginia Power
- Cavallaro Indomitable in Road Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: June 13 at Lexington (Game 63) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Playoff Bound: BlueClaws Win First-Half Pennant
- Parkinson Dominant; Claws Blank 'Dads 4-0 on Sunday
- Jones Sharp, Ortiz Homers, Claws Keep Playoffs Hopes Alive with 4-2 Win
- Claws Leave Bases Loaded in Ninth, Fall 4-3 on Friday
- BlueClaws Drop Heartbreaker, 7-6 to Suns on Thursday