Steelheads Hold off Oilers to Open Home Stand with 3-2 Win
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (5-6-1) scored three early goals and held off the Tulsa Oilers (4-1-4) in a 3-2 win on Wednesday night at CenturyLink Arena.
The Steelheads scored two early goals to start on the right foot beginning at 1:37 of the first period. Steelheads forward Steve McParland found forward Joe Pendenza on a breakaway pass on the first shot of the night to take a 1-0 lead. Steelheads forward Spencer Naas doubled the lead, 2-0, at 5:24 on a shot that hit the back of the netminder and bounced into the net.
In the second period, Steelheads defenseman Brady Norrish swatted a shot that deflected off a defenseman at 6:34, tripling the lead to 3-0. The Oilers started their press for a comeback at 11:29 with a power play goal from defenseman Kyle Rhodes to cut down the lead, 3-1.
Oilers forward Peter Sivak brought the road side within one, 3-2, at 12:40 of the third period to try and press for overtime. However, despite the Oilers sending on an extra attacker late, the Steelheads held the Oilers at-bay to take the 3-2 win. Steelheads goaltender Colton Point (1-0-0) stopped 28 of 30 shots in the win. Oilers netminder Devin Williams (3-1-2) halted seven of 10 shots in 26:34 minutes during the loss, and Evan Fitzpatrick saved all 15 shots in 32:07 minutes of relief.
The Steelheads and Oilers continue their three-game weekend on Friday, Nov. 9 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 383-0080 or going to www.IdahoSteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and ECHL TV with television coverage starting at 7:00 p.m. on CableOne Channel 72.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2018
- Justin Auger Loaned to Rockford of American Hockey League - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - November 8 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Koppanen Recalled, Greenberg Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Americans to Wear Specialty Jerseys this Saturday for Our Veterans Night - Allen Americans
- IceMen Top Rays in Front of Record-Breaking Crowd - Jacksonville IceMen
- Park Inn Named All-Star Host Hotel - Toledo Walleye
- Rays Come up Short in Jacksonville Tuesday Morning - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steelheads Hold off Oilers to Open Home Stand with 3-2 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Win Streak Ends at Fort Wayne's Hands - Rapid City Rush
- Idaho Snaps Oilers Eight-Game Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Beast Score Five and End Thunder's Six-Game Winning Streak - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Battle to 3-2 Overtime Win over Utah, Take Series Lead
- Steelheads to Host Free Watch Parties for Games in Utah at SportZone
- Brad McClure Joins Steelheads from Texas Stars
- Steelheads Weekly - April 15, 2019
- Kessy's Two-Goal Night Leads Steelheads to 3-2 OT Thriller, Even Series