Steelheads Hold off Oilers to Open Home Stand with 3-2 Win
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (5-6-1) scored three early goals and held off the Tulsa Oilers (4-1-4) in a 3-2 win on Wednesday night at CenturyLink Arena.
The Steelheads scored two early goals to start on the right foot beginning at 1:37 of the first period. Steelheads forward Steve McParland found forward Joe Pendenza on a breakaway pass on the first shot of the night to take a 1-0 lead. Steelheads forward Spencer Naas doubled the lead, 2-0, at 5:24 on a shot that hit the back of the netminder and bounced into the net.
In the second period, Steelheads defenseman Brady Norrish swatted a shot that deflected off a defenseman at 6:34, tripling the lead to 3-0. The Oilers started their press for a comeback at 11:29 with a power play goal from defenseman Kyle Rhodes to cut down the lead, 3-1.
Oilers forward Peter Sivak brought the road side within one, 3-2, at 12:40 of the third period to try and press for overtime. However, despite the Oilers sending on an extra attacker late, the Steelheads held the Oilers at-bay to take the 3-2 win. Steelheads goaltender Colton Point (1-0-0) stopped 28 of 30 shots in the win. Oilers netminder Devin Williams (3-1-2) halted seven of 10 shots in 26:34 minutes during the loss, and Evan Fitzpatrick saved all 15 shots in 32:07 minutes of relief.
The Steelheads and Oilers continue their three-game weekend on Friday, Nov. 9 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 383-0080 or going to www.IdahoSteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and ECHL TV with television coverage starting at 7:00 p.m. on CableOne Channel 72.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2018
- Justin Auger Loaned to Rockford of American Hockey League - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - November 8 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Koppanen Recalled, Greenberg Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Americans to Wear Specialty Jerseys this Saturday for Our Veterans Night - Allen Americans
- IceMen Top Rays in Front of Record-Breaking Crowd - Jacksonville IceMen
- Park Inn Named All-Star Host Hotel - Toledo Walleye
- Rays Come up Short in Jacksonville Tuesday Morning - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steelheads Hold off Oilers to Open Home Stand with 3-2 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Win Streak Ends at Fort Wayne's Hands - Rapid City Rush
- Idaho Snaps Oilers Eight-Game Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Beast Score Five and End Thunder's Six-Game Winning Streak - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.