Idaho Snaps Oilers Eight-Game Point Streak
BOISE, ID - The Tulsa Oilers (4-1-4) took to the road for the first time this season and suffered a 3-2 loss to the Idaho Steelheads (5-6-1) Wednesday at CenturyLink Arena. It was the Oilers' first defeat in regulation, snapping Tulsa's season-opening eight-game point streak.
The Steelheads gained an early lead when Joe Pendenza raced in on a breakaway and lifted a shot into the top of the net just 1:37 into the game. Spencer Naas gave Idaho a 2-0 lead at 5:24 of the first period when he skated in behind the Oilers net, before throwing the puck back out front, banking it off of Tulsa goaltender Devin Williams and in.
The Steelheads chased Williams from the net when Brady Norrish fooled the Oilers goaltender with a backhander from the left circle that bounced into the Tulsa to give Idaho a 3-0 lead shortly after an unsuccessful power play. Evan Fitzpatrick replaced Williams and stopped all 15 shots he faced the rest of the way.
The Oilers answered on a power play of their own, when Kyle Rhodes fired a wrist shot from the left circle over the glove of Idaho goaltender Colton Point to make it 3-1 before the second break.
Oilers veteran Peter Sivak cut Tulsa's deficit to one with a shot from the point that found its way through traffic and into the net to make it 3-2 with 7:20 left in the third period. But the Steelheads protected the lead to the final buzzer in handing the Oilers their first regulation loss of the season.
The Oilers and Steelheads face-off again Friday at 8:10pm CT at CenturyLink Arena in Boise. Catch the action on The Sports Animal (99.9FM/1550AM), www.tulsaoilers.com, and ECHL.TV, with pregame coverage starting at 7:50pm CT.
Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2018
- Justin Auger Loaned to Rockford of American Hockey League - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - November 8 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Koppanen Recalled, Greenberg Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Americans to Wear Specialty Jerseys this Saturday for Our Veterans Night - Allen Americans
- IceMen Top Rays in Front of Record-Breaking Crowd - Jacksonville IceMen
- Park Inn Named All-Star Host Hotel - Toledo Walleye
- Rays Come up Short in Jacksonville Tuesday Morning - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steelheads Hold off Oilers to Open Home Stand with 3-2 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Win Streak Ends at Fort Wayne's Hands - Rapid City Rush
- Idaho Snaps Oilers Eight-Game Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Beast Score Five and End Thunder's Six-Game Winning Streak - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.