Steel Take 4-2 Victory over Cedar Rapids
The Steel defeated the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders by a 4-2 margin on Friday night at Fox Valley Ice Arena ... Chicago went 2-for-5 with the man advantage (40.0%) while killing off 5-of-6 (83.3%) infractions taken ... The RoughRiders outshot the Steel 31-30 on the night ... With the victory, Chicago has won nine of their last 10 performances. Brock Sheahan recorded his first career USHL victory as Head Coach. Matty De St. Phalle tallied two goals to push his season total to 27 points (14G, 13A). His 14 markers are a career-best. Liam Devlin netted the game-winning goal on a power play, his third tally of the year. Owen Power reached the back of the net and now has 22 points (7G, 15A) this season. Elis Hede notched two helpers in the win. His point total stands at nine (1G, 8A) for the year. Mackie Samoskevich picked up a multi-point night with two helpers pushing his season numbers to nine points (4G, 5A). John Jaworski picked up his sixth helper of the year. Victor Ostman turned away 29 shots in the win, pushing his record to 11-3-0-0.
Chicago Forward Liam Devlin
On His Chemistry With Chicago Forward John Jaworski: "I think Jaws and myself play the same way, we try to grind them down then just score goals when we can and get to the front of the net and it worked out today."
On Head Coach Brock Sheahan's First USHL Win: "Unreal. The boys were so happy. We just knew, the last two minutes on the penalty kill, we just wanted it really bad. We needed to get him that win and we did it, we got the job done. Feels unreal."
Chicago Forward Elis Hede
On The Game: "We didn't have our five top players, so the other players had to step up. I think we had a great win and congrats to Coach Brock to his first win, so it was good."
On Tomorrow's Game In Cedar Rapids: "I think we need a good start for the game. Good preparation today, so that's going to be important."
Chicago Head Coach Brock Sheahan
On The Samoskevich - Hede - De St. Phalle Line: "I thought they were really good. They can play off each other, they can read off each other, they're really smart players. Then also for a guy like Elis to get a little more ice, he was due. He's been playing really well, Mackie's been playing unbelievable. He played great last weekend, you put him with a guy like DSP, with such a high motor and high skill, they were deadly all night."
Chicago Steel Upcoming Games
Sat., Dec. 7 at Cedar Rapids RoughRiders 7:05 pm
Fri., Dec. 13 vs. Tri-City Storm 7:05 pm (Superstition Night)
Fri., Dec. 14 vs. Tri-City Storm 7:05 pm (Winterfest with Jersey Auction to benefit Cyclones Amateur Hockey Association presented by Illinois Aviation Academy)
December 6 vs. Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
Game 21, Home Game 9
Final Score 1 2 3 OT F
Cedar Rapids 0 1 1 - 2
Steel 1 1 2 - 4
(Fox Valley Ice Arena - Geneva, IL)
Chicago Steel Postgame Central
Cedar Rapids: 10-10-1-0 (Road: 2-7-0-0); 21 pts.
Steel: 16-4-1-0 (Home: 5-3-1-0); 33 pts.
Quick Stats: Shots PP PK PIM
Cedar Rapids 31 1-6 3-5 20
Steel 30 2-5 5-6 42
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Tri-City Splits Weekend Series with Fargo - Tri-City Storm
- Lumberjacks End Tough Weekend in Dubuque with a 3-1 Loss - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Steel Rally to Top Cedar Rapids - Chicago Steel
- Stars Stop Hawks on Saturday - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Olson Scores in Overtime for Weekend Sweep in Omaha - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Beck Scores Game Winner, Defense Dominates in 3-1 Win - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Preview: Storm Set to Host Fargo for Boy Scout Night - Tri-City Storm
- Lancers Comeback Falls Short in OT to Stampede, 3-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Steel Take 4-2 Victory over Cedar Rapids - Chicago Steel
- Stars Pick up a Point, But Lose in Shootout to Waterloo - Lincoln Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Steel Stories
- Steel Fall To Cedar Rapids 7-3 Sunday
- Chicago Falls 5-2 To Cedar Rapids As Win Streak Ends
- Brendan Brisson Named USHL Forward of the Week
- Weekly Preview: Mascots Invade Geneva this Sunday to Celebrate Rusty's Birthday
- Bryan Bickell Headlines Chicago Blackhawks Night