Olson Scores in Overtime for Weekend Sweep in Omaha
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The Sioux Falls Stampede collected a point in their fifth consecutive game with an 2-1 overtime victory over the Omaha Lancers at Ralston Arena Saturday night. Ryan Sullivan scored the opening goal of the game in the first period and forward Brenden Olson tallied his fourth of the season :13 into overtime. Grant Adams made the start in net stopping 30 of 31 shots.
For the second consecutive night, the Sioux Falls Stampede grabbed the first goal of the contest from Ryan Sullivan on the power play. The team captain tallied his sixth of the season off a back-door pass from Jared Westcott at the 10:56 mark of the first period. The score stayed 1-0 for the remainder of the period as goaltenders Grant Adams and Kyle McClellan made strong saves in net for each side.
Neither team found the scoresheet in the second period but managed to collect a total of 12 penalties.
Daniel Hilsendager tallied his third goal of the season approximately three minutes into the third period for the home squad on the power play. The goal tied the game at one apiece and forced overtime for the second consecutive night.
Sioux Falls closed out the game with an overtime goal from Brenden Olson :13 seconds in the extra period. Garrett Pinoniemi won the faceoff back to defenseman Josh Phillips who put it on the tape of Olson. Olson then moved up the left-wing wall uncontested on a miscommunication in the neutral zone for the five-hole goal on McClellan.
The Herd finished 1 of 5 on the power play and Omaha scored on one of four chances.
The Stampede will return to the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center for back-to-back games against Cedar Rapids RoughRiders and Fargo Force on Friday and Saturday night. Saturday will be Ugly Christmas Sweater Night presented by Golden Rule Construction and the Salvation Army. Fans are encouraged to wear an ugly sweater and stop by the game early as Santa himself will be available prior to puck drop in the main lobby. Puck drop scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Fans can catch the game streaming live at HockeyTV.com or listen live on KELO Radio 107.9 FM, 1320 AM or Kelo.com.
Images from this story
Sioux Falls Stampede forward Brenden Olson
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Tri-City Splits Weekend Series with Fargo - Tri-City Storm
- Lumberjacks End Tough Weekend in Dubuque with a 3-1 Loss - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Steel Rally to Top Cedar Rapids - Chicago Steel
- Stars Stop Hawks on Saturday - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Olson Scores in Overtime for Weekend Sweep in Omaha - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Beck Scores Game Winner, Defense Dominates in 3-1 Win - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Preview: Storm Set to Host Fargo for Boy Scout Night - Tri-City Storm
- Lancers Comeback Falls Short in OT to Stampede, 3-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Steel Take 4-2 Victory over Cedar Rapids - Chicago Steel
- Stars Pick up a Point, But Lose in Shootout to Waterloo - Lincoln Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.