Stars Lose Game 2
LINCOLN, Neb. - The Lincoln Stars lost Game 2 of their first-round series against the Waterloo Black Hawks 3-2 at the Ice Box on Tuesday night.
Garrett Schifsky scored his third goal of the series 6:07 into the game, giving Waterloo their first lead. Schifsky was left all alone after a great pass from Jake Rozzi, beating Kaidan Mbereko in tight.
Yu Sato quickly answered for the Stars, scoring at 7:19 on a shot from the far side circle that careened off the left pad of Emmett Croteau and across the goal line. Dalton Norris and Gleb Veremyev came up with assists on the play.
Gavin Lindberg jammed home a rebound later in the period, giving the Black Hawks a 2-1 lead. Tucker Ness added to Waterloo's lead on a 4-on-4 chance, scoring 66 seconds later.
After the first period, Waterloo controlled the game with a 3-1 advantage despite being outshot 14-10 by Lincoln.
There were only ten shots on goal in the second period combined by both teams as Lincoln fired seven. However, no goals were scored.
The Stars poured it on in the third period, eventually cutting their deficit in half with Lucas Wahlin's third goal of the series at 16:57. Norris sent the puck to the slot for Luke Johnson, who made an extra pass to the far circle where Wahlin was wide open. The goal came with Mbereko pulled for the extra attacker.
Despite Lincoln's late charge, Waterloo held on for the victory, tying the series at one win apiece.
The Stars went 0-for-4 on the power play and 4-for-4 on the penalty kill. Mbereko made 15 saves while Croteau stopped 35 shots.
Game 3 is set for 6:00 p.m. Wednesday at the Ice Box. The winner will take on the Sioux City Musketeers in the Western Conference Semifinals.
Save time, every time when you use Online Check-in for a great haircut at Great Clips - proud partner of the Lincoln Stars.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 27, 2022
- USHL Announces Clark Cup Playoffs Conference Semifinals Matchups and Information - USHL
- Former Gamblers Player McCadden Added as Assistant Coach - Green Bay Gamblers
- Lumberjacks Advance to Eastern Conference Semifinals, Clash with Dubuque in Best-Of-Three Series - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Eastern Conference Semifinals Preview - Chicago Steel
- Stars Lose Game 2 - Lincoln Stars
- Down Goes Fargo, the Lancers Are Moving On - Omaha Lancers
- Caps Sweep Phantoms in Round One to Advance to Eastern Conference Semis - Madison Capitols
- Phantoms Bow out of Clark Cup Playoffs with 5-3 Loss to Madison - Youngstown Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.