Stampede Selects 18 in USHL Phase II Draft
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The Sioux Falls Stampede made 18 selections in the 2021 United States Hockey League Phase II Draft Thursday afternoon. Sioux Falls selected 10 forwards, five defensemen and three goaltenders to compete for a roster spot for the upcoming season. Players must have been born in 2001 or later.
"The hard work and dedication from our entire coaching and scouting staff throughout this process provided us with a diverse group of players to select from," said Assistant Coach and Director of Scouting Riley Colvard. "We were pleased to add a great group of quality and high-character young men and look forward to continuing the evaluation process with our team camps."
The Stampede used their first-round, second overall selection on goaltender Isak Posch from Umea, Sweden. Posch is a St. Cloud University commit and recently played for Leksands IF J20. He recorded a 2.42 GAA and .917 SV% in nine games played with an 8-1- record.
"Posch is a goaltender that we followed closely during the season and we liked what we saw," said Head Coach Marty Murray. "Isak is a St. Cloud State commit, and their program does a great job of evaluating and recruiting top end players. We look forward to see him come in and become a major contributor for our team."
The Herd selected twice in the second round with the 17th and 21st overall selections. The club selected forward Samuel Harris from Carlsbad, Calif., with the first of their two picks. Harris tallied 21 goals and 16 assists for 37 points for Shattuck St. Mary's 18U Prep last season. With the second selection in the round, defenseman Seth Bernard-Docker came off the board. Bernard-Docker is a native of Canmore, Alberta, and tallied five goals and 27 assists for 32 points during the 2019-20 season for the Okotoks Oilers of the AJHL. He is committed to the University of Denver. His brother, Jacob, is a defenseman for the Ottawa Senators.
Sioux Falls went back with the international theme and selected defenseman Gustavs Ozolins from Riga, Latvia, in the third round. Ozolins record 25 points from six goals and 19 assists with HS Riga in 34 games played. He competed with Team Latvia at the U18 World Champions.
With the fourth-round selection, the Stampede grabbed forward Luke Kron from the Minnesota Magicians. Kron tallied six goals and 13 assists in 39 games with the Magicians last season. He is a native of Andover, Minn., and committed to St. Thomas Academy.
In the fifth round, Sioux Falls selected forward Raymond Fust from Reverole, Switzerland. Fust tallied eight goals and two assists over 20 games for the Chilliwack Chiefs last season in the BCHL. He is committed to the University of Nebraska, Omaha, and has dual citizenship in Canada.
St. Cloud Norsemen forward Jack Reimann was the 78th overall selection in the sixth round. A native of Ham Lake, Minn., Reimann put 10 goals in the back of the net and added eight helpers for 18 points in 49 games played last season. In the same round, the Herd selected Canadian/American forward Evan Konyen from Mars, Pa. Konyen recorded 36 goals and 27 assists with the Pittsburgh Penguins Elite 15U program during the 2019-20 season.
The Herd went back between the pipes in round seven with goaltender Dominik Wasik from Superior, Colo. Wasik guarded the net with the Aberdeen Wings last season, recording a 1.70 GAA, .931 SV% and 7-2-0 record in 10 games played.
Forward Adam Zlnka was the round-eight selection for the Stampede. Zlnka is a native of Detva, Slovakia, and recorded 11 goals and 15 assists over 21 games for Team Slovakia U18 last season.
The Herd selected forward Paul Minnehan from Cypress, Calif., in round nine. Minnehan recorded six goals and 14 assists in 36 games between the Northeast Generals and Janesville Jets last season. He is committed to Arizona State University. In round 10, defenseman Evan Murr came off the board. Murr is a native of Stillwater, Minn., and competed with Stillwater High and the St. Cloud Norsemen last season. He recorded nine goals and 12 assists in 30 games played.
Goaltender Owen Parker was the next selection for the Herd in round 12. Parker was between the pipes for the New Mexico Ice Wolves last season, putting up a 3.04 GAA, .911 SV% and 8-9-1 record in 19 games played. He is a native of Buffalo, N.Y. and stands at 6-foot, 6-inches tall and weighs 225 pounds.
Forward Aaron Pionk and defenseman Cole Miller were selected in round 13 and round 14, respectively. Pionk is a native of Hermantown, Minn. and tallied 20 goals and 20 assists for 40 points in 47 games played between Team Velocity, Hermantown High and the Minnesota Wilderness last season. Miller is a native of Highlands Ranch, Colo., and recorded eight goals and 26 assists for 34 points last season with Ohio Blue Jackets 18U AAA.
The Herd selected forward Nicholas Peluso with their 15th-round selection. Peluso is a native of Rochester, N.Y., and tallied 15 goals and 19 assists for 34 points in 46 games for Bishop Kearney Selects. The next selection in round 16 went to forward Rylan Brady from Jackson, Mich. Brady tallied five goals and five assists last season for Fox Motors 16U AAA in 16 games played.
The team finished the draft with defenseman Howie Moore from Mounds View, Minn., in round 17. Moore recorded two goals and 13 assists from the blueline in 19 games with Totino-Grace High School.
The Stampede will now begin preparing for their main tryout camp in June. More information will become available for fans next week.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from May 27, 2021
- Stampede Selects 18 in USHL Phase II Draft - Sioux Falls Stampede
- RoughRiders Complete USHL Draft - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Steel Select 17 Players in Phase 2 of USHL Draft - Chicago Steel
- Hawks Snag 16 in Phase II Draft - Waterloo Black Hawks
- 17 More Chosen in Capitols Phase II Draft - Madison Capitols
- Gamblers Take Team USA Alum Straky in 1st Round of USHL Entry Draft - Green Bay Gamblers
- Dubuque Fighting Saints Complete Phase II of 2021 USHL Draft, Select 20 Players - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Select 18 Players in Phase II of Draft - Omaha Lancers
- NHL Central Scouting List Highlighted by Steel - Chicago Steel
- 2021 USHL Phase I Recap - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Storm Complete Draft Day Trades - Tri-City Storm
- Storm Acquire Multiple Players in Separate Transactions - Tri-City Storm
- Musketeers Complete Draft Day Trade - Sioux City Musketeers
- Four Musketeers Listed in Latest NHL Draft Rankings - Sioux City Musketeers
- Central Scouting Sizes up Hawks - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Gamblers Select Shaugabay in the 1st Round - Green Bay Gamblers
- 2021 USHL Draft Phase I Recap - Fargo Force
- Fighting Saints Acquire First Overall Pick; Saints to Select Justin Janicke First Overall - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Capitols Select 10 in Phase I of 2021 USHL Draft - Madison Capitols
- RoughRiders Complete Phase I Selections - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Stampede Stories
- Stampede Have Team Record Six Players Selected During 2021 NHL Draft
- Sillinger Selected by Columbus Blue Jackets in 1st Round of NHL Draft
- Ean Somoza Named to USHL All-Academic Team
- Stampede Release 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule
- Stampede Selects 18 in USHL Phase II Draft