Stampede Rally Comes up Short in 6-4 Loss to Lincoln
LINCOLN, Neb. - The Sioux Falls Stampede dropped a 6-4 loss to the Lincoln Stars Saturday night at the Ice Box. Four different scorers put a puck in the back of the net for the Stampede, while Trent Burnham made the start in net, stopping 22 of 27 shots on net.
The Lincoln Stars opened the scoring with three goals in the first period to blanket the Herd in the first period. Henry Nelson and Luke Mittelstadt tallied their first career USHL goals at 5:35 and 7:17 of the first period for the early 2-0 lead. James Stefan made it 3-0 at 14:42 of the period into the first intermission.
The Stampede rallied back in the second period with a goal just eleven seconds into the second period from Michael Citara from Luke Toporowski. Daniel Russell brought the Herd within one at 3:33 of the period with Will Dineen and Will Schimek on the assist. The Stars responded back with a quick goal at 3:46 on the power play, but Dineen and Sam Rhodes drew the Herd even with goals to conclude the second period.
Battling through the third period, Nikolai Mayorov ended the draw at 16:59 of the third period. The Herd had a power play opportunity at the end of the period, but Noah Laba scored with 31 seconds left on the empty net to make it 6-4.
The Stampede will return to Lincoln on Friday night before hosting the final game of the season at the PREMIER Center on April 24. Tickets available at any Ticketmaster location or inside the KELOLAND Box Office at the PREMIER Center. Fans can catch the game streaming live at HockeyTV.com or listen live on KELO Radio 107.9 FM, 1320 AM or Kelo.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2021
- Storm Drop Overtime Decision to Buccaneers - Tri-City Storm
- Fighting Saints Defeat Team USA, Control Playoff Spot - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Steel Claim 3-2 Overtime Victory over Green Bay - Chicago Steel
- Tough Bounces Doom Gamblers in OT - Green Bay Gamblers
- Stampede Rally Comes up Short in 6-4 Loss to Lincoln - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Win Anderson Cup for Second Consecutive Season - Chicago Steel
- Gameday Preview: vs. Sioux Falls - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Seek Bounce-Back Victory against Buccaneers - Tri-City Storm
- USHL Updates Status of Conference Standings, Anderson Cup Race Ahead of Playoffs - USHL
- Force Dominate in Final Home Game of the Regular Season - Fargo Force
- Jake Beaune Commits to Robert Morris University - Lincoln Stars
- Slow Start Plagues Stars in Omaha - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Winning Streak Snapped in Loss to Buccaneers - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Stampede Stories
- Stampede Have Team Record Six Players Selected During 2021 NHL Draft
- Sillinger Selected by Columbus Blue Jackets in 1st Round of NHL Draft
- Ean Somoza Named to USHL All-Academic Team
- Stampede Release 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule
- Stampede Selects 18 in USHL Phase II Draft