Spurs Wipe Away Charge's Streak
CANTON, OH - The Canton Charge (17-24), powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, fell to the Austin Spurs (17-24), 117-106 at the Charge's "Salute to Service" Night presented by Ohio CAT. Riding a five-game losing streak, the Spurs were victorious in former Charge guard John Holland's return to, snapping the Charge's five-game winning streak.
Prior to the game, Holland was honored with a tribute video and was presented with a commemorative Charge jersey from Charge Head Coach Nate Reinking. Holland, the 2017 NBA G League Impact Player of the Year, appeared in 99 games for the Canton Charge during the 2015-16 through 2018-19 season. His 1,896 points in the Wine & Gold ranks second in franchise history behind former Charge guard Antoine Agudio (1,975 points). He finished with 19 points on 5-of-12 shooting, while dishing five assists and grabbing four rebounds in his return to the Civic Center.
Without leading scorer Kobi Simmons for the sixth straight game, Levi Randolph picked up the slack, pouring in a game-high 22 points on 7-of-11 shooting in 38 minutes. Scoochie Smith continued his strong play as of late, netting 19 points with seven assists. Sir'Dominic Pointer provided a spark off of the bench with 19 points on 9-of-14 shooting, while swiping a Canton Charge franchise record seven steals. Fellow reserve JaCorey Williams scored 16 points on 8-of-11 shooting, providing the 3,504 fans in attendance with several jaw-dropping dunks.
Seven Spurs scored in double figures and four recorded double-doubles. Travis Trice scored 14 points with a game-high 13 assists. Josh Huestis scored 10 points while nabbing 11 rebounds. Ben Moore provided 14 points and 11 rebounds in 33 minutes. Center Amida Brimah made his presence felt in the paint, scoring a team-high 20 points with 10 rebounds. Entering the evening holding opponents to a league-low 41.4 rebounds per contest, Austin outrebounded the Charge 49-38, including offensive rebounds. The Spurs enjoyed a 19-13 advantage in second-chance points.
The Charge travel to Long Island for a bout with the Nets their homestand by hosting the Austin Spurs on Monday, March 4th at 7:00 PM (TV: FACEBOOK LIVE +; RADIO: 99.7 FM). The Charge return home for Charge Family Weekend presented Dunkin'! The Charge have back-to-back matinee games starting with a 1:00 PM Saturday game vs. The Wisconsin Herd, followed by a 3:00 PM start on Sunday vs. the Lakeland Magic. For Charge Nation Memberships, group outings, game day promotions and up-to-date information, head to CantonCharge.com or call 866-444-1944. The Canton Charge are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization and are also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Chairman and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Monsters of the American Hockey League, who play their games at Quicken Loans Arena in downtown Cleveland.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 2, 2019
- Westchester Earns Big Road Win over Wisconsin - Wisconsin Herd
- South Bay Tastes Victory in Win over Salt Lake City - South Bay Lakers
- Stars Fall to Lakers in Second Game of Back-To-Back - Salt Lake City Stars
- Swarm Fall to Nets in Fifth Home Sellout of the Season - Greensboro Swarm
- Westchester Dispatches Wisconsin, 123-95 - Westchester Knicks
- Spurs Wipe Away Charge's Streak - Canton Charge
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Spencer Hawes - South Bay Lakers
- Timberwolves Recall Robert Covington from G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Alex Poythress Transferred to Atlanta - Erie BayHawks
- Hornets Assign Dwayne Bacon to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Santa Cruz Warriors Stage Second Half Rally to Defeat Memphis Hustle, 114-93 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars Edged by Clippers - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Canton Charge Stories
- Update on Dan Gilbert's Health
- Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Monsters and Canton Charge Announce New-Look-Game Entertainment Teams
- Salt Lake City Summer League Announces Game Schedule
- Running of the Bulls - Charge Cap off Campaign with Win
- Charge Stall in Grand Rapids