Spokane Stymies Silvertips with 3-2 Overtime Victory
SPOKANE, Wash. - The Spokane Chiefs bested the division-rival Everett Silvertips for the first time this season on Wednesday night as Eli Zummack played hero in the Chiefs' 3-2 overtime victory.
New Jersey Devils prospect Ty Smith recorded his 200th career WHL point at 14:53 of the first when he fired a shot from the blue line that found its way through traffic and past Everett netminder Dustin Wolf for the captain's third goal over his last four games. Smith becomes the second ever Chiefs rearguard to reach the 200-point milestone, joining Brenden Kichton (2008-13).
Spokane flipped the script on a second period power play chance for Everett when Eli Zummack forced a turnover just outside the Silvertips' defensive zone and dropped a pass back to a streaking Adam Beckman, who slammed it home for the shorthanded goal to give the Chiefs the 2-0 lead at 4:49. The Tips answered just 29 seconds later with a goal by winger Jalen Price to cut the lead in half as the things headed to the second intermission.
The Chiefs managed to keep Everett off the board for most of the third period, but a Ty Kolle marker at 17:03 tied things at 2-2 and eventually forced overtime. It was Zummack once again making an impact in the extra frame as the fourth-year turned on the jets down the right wing before flipping a backhand shot by Wolf at 2:07 to secure the victory.
Los Angeles Kings prospect Lukas Parik received the start in net for Spokane and was 32-of-34 on the night while Wolf ended the game 26-of-29. Both sides went 0-for-2 on the power play.
The Chiefs open a four-game road trip Saturday, January 25 at Tri-City and don't return home until Saturday, February 1 when they take on the Kelowna Rockets for Numerica Boomer the Bear Piggy Bank Giveaway. The first 2,000 fans through the gates receive a Boomer the Bear Piggy Bank courtesy of Numerica Credit Union.
Tickets for all Chiefs home games are available online at spokanechiefs.com and via the Chiefs' Ticket Office, over the phone at 509-535-PUCK and in-person at Spokane Arena.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 23, 2020
- Rockets look to jump back into win column - Kelowna Rockets
- Preview: Broncos Host Moose Jaw to Begin Weekend Series - Swift Current Broncos
- Oil Kings and CMHA Edmonton Partner for Talk Today on January 28, 2020 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- WHL Announces Schedule for Inaugural WHL U.S. Challenge Cup - WHL
- Tips Fall in OT at Spokane - Everett Silvertips
- Spokane Stymies Silvertips with 3-2 Overtime Victory - Spokane Chiefs
- Isaiah DiLaura Shines in Broncos Loss to Oil Kings - Swift Current Broncos
- Warriors Suffer Wednesday Loss to Hurricanes - Moose Jaw Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.