Spitfires Rally Back But Fall in OT 6-5
The Spitfires rallied back again versus Saginaw on Saturday evening but came up short in overtime.
In the first period the game was heavily penalized with the Spitfires having 3 powerplays and Saginaw having 4. It was the Spitfires who got on the board first on the powerplay just over 3 quarters of the way through the period. It was McDonald who tipped in a Henault shot for his 12th on the season. Johnston picked up the 2nd assist. The lead only lasted 3 minutes with Saginaw recording a powerplay goal of their own. After 20 minutes of play we were tied 1-1, shots were in favour of the Spitfires 10-9.
In the 2nd period, the Spitfires scored to make it a 2-1 game. It was O'Flaherty with his first career OHL goal on a sweet pass from Martin. After that it was much of the same as the night before. The Spitfires gave up 4 straight goals one being shorthanded to go down 5-2 with 3:39 left to play in the 2nd period. But again the Spitfires rallied back at the end of the second and into the third period. With 2:27 to play in period 2, Cuylle sniped his 15th on the season on the powerplay, with Johnston and Ladd recording the assists. The Spitfires trailed 5-3 after 40 minutes of play and 21-19 in shots.
In the third period the Spitfires got on the board early. Daniel D'Amico sniped his 5th on the season on the powerplay off a Saginaw turnover. Just over three minutes later Oliver Peer scored his first career OHL goal to tie the game on the powerplay. Abraham and D'Amico recorded assists on the play. With the game tied 5-5 both teams had chances to win but failed to capitalized and both teams hit the post/crossbar. With 60 minutes and a tie game we were off to OT.
In the overtime period, the Spitfires and Spirit traded chances but it was Saginaw who hooked Henault off the puck with no penalty call and they went in and scored to take it 6-5 in OT.
The Spitfires play at home versus Erie on December 2nd, puck drop is schedule for 7:30pm.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 27, 2021
- Firebirds Drop Weekend Finale, 4-3 to Sarnia - Flint Firebirds
- Spirit Sweep the Spits with Overtime Victory Saturday Night - Saginaw Spirit
- Spitfires Rally Back But Fall in OT 6-5 - Windsor Spitfires
- IceDogs Gain a Point at Barrie - Niagara IceDogs
- Meriläinen, Edmonds and Wright Fuel Frontenacs to a 5-4 Shootout Victory over Bulldogs - Kingston Frontenacs
- Bears Rain Early, But Storm Hold on Late - Erie Otters
- Duarte's Late Goal Not Enough in 5-4 Shootout Loss - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Ottawa Wins in Overtime - North Bay Battalion
- Gaidamak's Overtime Winner Lifts 67's over Battalion - Ottawa 67's
- Game Day Preview: KGN at HAM - Kingston Frontenacs
- Game Preview: Guelph Storm at Erie Otters - Guelph Storm
- Firebirds Look to Sweep the Week, Take on Sarnia Tonight at Home - Flint Firebirds
- Barber Poles Face Battalion on Home Ice - Ottawa 67's
- Spirit Host Spitfires for Light the Night Presented by Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - Saginaw Spirit
- Generals Defeat 67's 4-3 in Overtime - Oshawa Generals
- North Bay Leaves Kingston with 2 Points - Kingston Frontenacs
- Spirit Ground Spitfires in Wild 6-5 Victory - Saginaw Spirit
- Troops Clip Kingston 5-2 - North Bay Battalion
- 67's Edged by Generals in Overtime - Ottawa 67's
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.