Spikes Score Four in Last Frame to Top Auburn, 4-3, in First Game of Twin Bill
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Trailing 3-0 entering the seventh and final inning, the State College Spikes battled through a rain delay to come back for four runs, capped off by Stanley Espinal's walk-off triple, to defeat the Auburn Doubledays, 4-3, in the first game of a doubleheader on Sunday at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park.
The Spikes (32-30) started their rally when Pedro Pages singled to lead off the seventh and Matt Duce followed with a two-run homer, his third of the year, to the Pepsi Picnic Pavilion in left field.
One batter later, the skies opened up as a storm passed through Central PA, making for a one-hour, 57-minute delay. After the skies cleared, State College would complete its comeback in the seventh as Donivan Williams tripled, Brylie Ware singled him in, and Espinal's three-base hit to center field brought in Ware with the winning run.
Spikes starter Enmanuel Solano (2-7) went the distance for the win and posted the fifth complete game in franchise history. Solano's seven-inning effort is also the longest complete game for a State College hurler, with all four of the other outings lasting six innings or less.
The right-hander allowed a leadoff infield single in the first, then elicited a double play and followed by retiring the next 14 batters he faced before allowing three runs in the sixth on an Albert Carillo triple and Ricardo Mendez two-run homer, his first of the year.
Solano ended up allowing a total of four hits and struck out three batters.
Auburn (21-39) reliever Bobby Milacki (0-2), who entered the game after the rain delay, allowed the last two Spikes runs on three consecutive hits.
The game itself lasted just one hour, 27 minutes, making for the shortest game by playing time for State College this season.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 18, 2019
- IronBirds and Lake Monsters Set Table for Series Finale - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spikes Sweep Doubledays in Doubleheader Action - State College Spikes
- Romero's Heroics Give BKLYN Sweep - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Early Runs Push Lowell Past Tigers - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Early Eruption Leads Spinners to 7-3 Victory - Lowell Spinners
- Bechina 5-For-5 In Vermont 6-5 Victory At Aberdeen - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Unlucky 13 - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes Score Four in Last Frame to Top Auburn, 4-3, in First Game of Twin Bill - State College Spikes
- Wilkie Shines in West Virginia Win - West Virginia Black Bears
- Simmons Homers Again but Cutters Win Streak Ends - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Doubledays Drop Series Opener in State College - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.