Simmons Homers Again but Cutters Win Streak Ends
Morgantown, W.V. - Kendall Simmons homered in his second consecutive game but it wasn't enough for the Crosscutters in a 7-3 loss at West Virginia on Sunday afternoon. Williamsport (25-37) had its three-game win streak snapped.
Simmons crushed his 11th of the season on a shot in the third inning over a 20-foot section of the wall in left. He is second in the NYPL in home runs and now has nine homers in his last 18 games. Entering play on July 27, Simmons had only two home runs all season before his long-ball surge.
The Cutters committed four errors and fell to 0-5 in games in which the defense is assessed that many miscues.
Hunter Hearn was 2-for-4 with a double and a run scored. Nate Fassnacht added a double and a run while Nicolas Torres contributed an RBI single.
Bryson Stott was 0-for-2 with two walks thus ending his nine-game hitting streak.
Kyle Wilkie went 4-for-5 with a two-run double for West Virginia (34-27) who moved into first place in the Pinckney Division. Will Matthiessen was 3-for-4 with a two-run double.
Gabriel Yanez, Spencer Van Scoyoc (L, 3-3) and Brett Schulze all surrendered runs for the Crosscutters ending a string of three tremendous pitching performances with the staff allowing four hits or fewer.
Williamsport closes the road-trip and plays its last game before the NYPL All-Star Break on Monday at 6:35 p.m. with RHP Adam Leverett the scheduled starter against the Black Bears.
WIL 3 6 4 (7)
WV 7 12 1 (11)
W - Trey McGough (1-1)
L - Spencer Van Scoyoc (3-3)
HR - Kendall Simmons (11)
Crosscutters Record: 25-37
Next Game: Sunday, August 19, 6:35 p.m. at West Virginia
Next Home Game/Promotion: Thursday, August 22, 7:05 p.m. vs. Mahoning Valley / Pin Giveaway
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 18, 2019
- IronBirds and Lake Monsters Set Table for Series Finale - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spikes Sweep Doubledays in Doubleheader Action - State College Spikes
- Romero's Heroics Give BKLYN Sweep - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Early Runs Push Lowell Past Tigers - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Early Eruption Leads Spinners to 7-3 Victory - Lowell Spinners
- Bechina 5-For-5 In Vermont 6-5 Victory At Aberdeen - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Unlucky 13 - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes Score Four in Last Frame to Top Auburn, 4-3, in First Game of Twin Bill - State College Spikes
- Wilkie Shines in West Virginia Win - West Virginia Black Bears
- Simmons Homers Again but Cutters Win Streak Ends - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Doubledays Drop Series Opener in State College - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Williamsport Crosscutters Stories
- Laptop Giveaway Entries Due September 7
- Cutters Launch Reading Contest
- COVID-19 Claims 2020 Cutters Season
- Cutters to Re-Live 2003 Championship Season on Social Media
- Update from the Williamsport Crosscutters