Spanberger Wins Player of the Week for the Second Time
ASHEVILLE - Chad Spanberger has been named the South Atlantic League's Player of the Week for the week of July 2-July 8. This is the third time this season a Tourists player has won the award. Spanberger also won during the week of May 28-June 3 while Bret Boswell claimed the award for the week of May 21-May 27.
During the week of July 2-July 8, Spanberger played in six of the seven Tourists' contests. The first-baseman went 13-for-24 (.542) with two doubles, one triple, three Home Runs, nine RBI, and eight runs scored. Chad also stole two bases during that stretch for good measure.
Spanberger currently leads the South Atlantic League in totals bases (185), extra-base hits (42), slugging percentage (.603), and RBI (69). Chad sits second in hits (98) and Home Runs (21). The former Arkansas Razorback ranks third in batting average (.319) and runs scored (56).
Spanberger has split time this season between first-base and the designated hitter. Chad leads the Tourists with 29 multi-hit games and has hit two Home Runs in a game on three separate occasions.
The Asheville Tourists are about to begin a seven-game road trip with three contests in Lakewood followed by a four-game set in Greensboro. Asheville returns home on July 19 to take on the Greenville Drive.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 11, 2018
- Basepath Bonanza: Hoppers Run Past I's - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Drive Secure Victory in Series Opener with Rome - Greenville Drive
- Power Bats Quieted in Series Opener in Hickory - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs Blanked, Issue Eight Walks in Homestand Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hall a Winner in 'Birds' 10th Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Garcia's Late-Game Heroics Lead Augusta to Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Debora Delightful in Opener - Columbia Shuts out Hagerstown - Columbia Fireflies
- Spanberger Wins Player of the Week for the Second Time - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 11 at Hagerstown (Game 86) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 11) - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds, Orioles Extend Contract - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Shorebirds Present Donation to Richard A. Henson Cancer Institute - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.