Southern Maryland Falls in Somerset Finale
(Bridgewater, NJ.) - The Southern Maryland Blue Crabs (21-37) lost the series finale against the Somerset Patriots (35-24) 8-3.
Two quick outs started the game, before Devon Rodriguez singled to extend the inning. A walk to Jon Griffin followed, and then both would score on a Frank Martinez double to give Southern Maryland an early 2-0 lead.
The Patriots fought back right away, putting up two in the bottom half of the inning. Craig Massey led off the inning with a solo homerun, his third long ball of the season. Alfredo Rodriguez then singled, moving to second two batters later on a walk issued to Jayce Boyd. A flyout moved Rodriguez up to third, which allowed him to score on a wild pitch to even the game.
Somerset kept the offense going in the next two innings, putting up three runs and then two more. Nate Coronado led off the second with a single, with John Nester adding a single two batters later. A Massey double would bring home Coronado, with an error at third base allowing Nester to score. A sacrifice fly from Endy Chavez would plate Massey for the third run of the inning.
The third inning began with a walk to Ramon Flores, the second free pass of the game issued by Kyle Drabek (0-2). After a popup got an out on the board, Coronado launched his seventh homerun of the season, a two-run shot that gave the Patriots a comfortable 7-2 lead.
Th scoring continued in the fourth, beginning with a two-out rally by the Blue Crabs. After a strikeout and groundout, Angelys Nina drew a walk to keep the inning going. Craig Maddox and Jose Gonzalez then went back-to-back with singles, scoring Nina to make it a four-run deficit. In the bottom half of the inning, Boyd singled in Rodriguez to push the Somerset lead back out to five.
Pitching took over from there, as the teams traded a pair of scoreless innings to send the game to the seventh. Logan Kensing took over in the top of the seventh, picking up two quick outs. A single from Francisco Rosario kept the game alive, before Kensing bounced back with a strikeout to finish the 8-3 game.
The Blue Crabs return to action Thursday, September 13th for the series opener against the New Britain Bees. First pitch in the final series of the 2018 season is scheduled for 6:35 P.M. on Thursday at Regency Furniture Stadium.
For more information on the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs, or to reserve your seat today for any of the Blue Crabs upcoming home games, please visit our website at somdbluecrabs.com or call us at 301-638-9788.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 12, 2018
- Southern Maryland Falls in Somerset Finale - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Patriots Power Past Blue Crabs 8-3 - Somerset Patriots
- Barnstormers Inch Closer To Post-Season - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Barnstormers And Bees Spilt Twin-Bill In The Hardware City - New Britain Bees
- Ducks Stun Skeeters with Dramatic Ninth Inning Comeback - Long Island Ducks
- Barnstormers Break Even with Bees - Lancaster Barnstormers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Blue Crabs Sign Atlantic League All-Star Jonathan Galvez
- Back-To-Back ALPB Defensive Player of the Year Edwin Garcia Re-Signs with Southern Maryland
- Blue Crabs Sign Greyfer Eregua
- Adam Choplick Signs with Chicago Cubs Organization
- Former Cubs, Braves Prospect Dalton Geekie Kicks off 2020 Blue Crabs Signings